1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Advice on "Hands off Flock Growth"

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by hoog, May 17, 2009.

1. hoog

hoog Chillin' With My Peeps

I have some Cornish/white Rock hens that will be laying in September October, one Rhode Island Red hen 9 months old, and a Rhode Island Red rooster 9 Months-old.

They live in a coop that is 8x8x4 and is 2 feet off the ground. They have a fenced in area to patrol that is about an acre and a half with many trees and bushes The winter gets to 25-30 degrees and the summer 90-95 degrees.

I plan to let the flock grow a bit. I know some people that want some hens for eggs plus I think it would be fun to watch the flock grow. Not to mention the extra meat.

I would prefer to have a “hands off” approach. You know… just let them do what they do naturally. [​IMG]

Other than the normal feeding and cleaning I would do in a 10 hen flock. I would be trading out my rooster every 9 months to prevent in breeding. Is there anything I will need to do?

Last edited: May 17, 2009
  2. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Doing a little math here:

The coop is about 64sqft yes? (assumming the floor is 8X8 instead of the 8X4?) if so I'd say you's want to stop at about 30 birds. With an acre and a half, I'd make sure the coop is snug at night, make sure they come home for bed, and maybe add a second house if you want more birds.

3. cybercat

cybercat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    You will not have to get rid of your rooster. You will have to add more as your flock grows though. If you dived your growing flock into smaller flocks just keep the original flock togheter and take the pullet offspring out and put with another rooster. 1 roo to 10 hens is OK if you get much over that like 14 and more you need 2 roos.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by