Advice on helping a chick!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by gioben, Mar 28, 2016.

1. gioben

gioben Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2016
    Hi! So I had a chick pip on the wrong side of the egg. He had broken the shell but the membrane was still intact. I decided to help a little and broke the membrane so that the chick could breath. It started to bleed a bit so I quickly put it back in the incubator. It's been twelve hours and from what I can see he is doing fine and moving his little beak, but he hasn't made any progress with zipping. What should I do now?

2. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Give him more time and keep an eye on the membrane for drying out. A chick can take 24 hours after a normal pip, even longer with a malepositioned because they skipped a step. If after 24 hours he still hasn't progressed you can attempt to start an assist.

3. gioben

Mar 26, 2016
    It's been 24 hours and nothing. I'm gonna have to help. Any advice on helping? I've read most of the assisted hatching threads but I'm still nervous that I might do something wrong.

4. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    If it's pipped at the bottom, there may not be a whole lot that you can do, because down there it may still have heavy veining, but what I would do is this:
    Get some water, q-tips and flat nosed tweezers if you have them.

5. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I moisten the exposed membranes with a wet q-tip and then sliding the tweezers between the shell and membrane if you can, (it's harder to do at the pointed end where it's more compressed together), and chip just the shell going up the egg. Moisten any membranes you expose. When you moisten the membrane this will also let you see how much veining is left. If there is a lot of veining, especially thick veins, you aren't going to be able to do much because it's not ready. If you hit a vein and cause bleeding, I hold a wet q-tip against it for a bit to staunch it and then replace it to the bator. If there's still heavy veining I wrap a damp paper towel around the back of the egg and put it back in the bator. If the veining looks about gone,(you can pull the membrane back) continue for 10 minutes or so and replace the baby to rest and warm back up and see if it makes progress on it's own. If it doesn't give it half an hour to an hour and so a little more work repeating this until it's out.

That's how I do it.

Some people use bacitracin/vaseline or non pain relief neosporin spread thinnly over exposed membranes to keep them from drying out as well.

6. gioben

Mar 26, 2016

Okay thank you!!

7. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Good luck and keep us posted.

8. gioben

Mar 26, 2016
    I got home and was ready to help him but he has slowly started to zip! He's taking a while but I don't want to bother him until I know for sure that he can't do it on his own anymore.

9. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    That's great. Zipping shouldn't take that long. If he's not out w/in the hour (I wouldn't even give him that long,) I'd be assisting. I've seen to many people say their chick that started zipping and was taking forever later report it never made it out.

10. gioben

Mar 26, 2016
    I
    It's been about 3 hours. He's going really slow. Should I just crack the shell along the zip line and let him push himself out?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by