Advice on how to keep injured chicken who cannot rejoin her flock happy

cheeseycheese

In the Brooder
Nov 4, 2020
I would love some advice on what to do with my poor little d'Uccle hen, of course it's my favorite bird. She (8m old) was attacked 1 week ago by an owl, during the daytime - in our forested area! We got her to a vet and they stitched together huge wounds on her neck, shoulder, and both wings. She is healing fantastically and I now have her inside the house in a dog crate for the time being.

So, our problem is that she is one of two bantams in our whole flock, which is clearly why she got targeted for the attack (she's also bright white) and it's obvious now that she cannot safely free range our property. We would like to build her her own coop and run to keep her safe, but I doubt she would be happy locked in a run all day by herself. We have 20 birds all together - a mixed flock of RIR, Leghorns, one bantam Delaware rooster and the d'Uccle. She was always at the bottom of the pecking order, but was never bullied too hard. She often kept to herself, but the bantam rooster would sleep with her at night.

So do I build her her a small coop with covered run and throw in the bantam rooster or buy another d'Uccle hen as a companion or any other suggestions??

Thank you!

Attachments

• 61912924413__FBD4873C-625F-4839-B7E9-7FBF837D7DBC.JPG
    61912924413__FBD4873C-625F-4839-B7E9-7FBF837D7DBC.JPG
    602.9 KB · Views: 9
Poor thing, i'm so glad she made it. I actually have a very very similar situation here, my only polish hen had gotten super sick, and had to be separated for about 2 months from her flock. Now she's up and running again, but obviously being picked on when she's with the others. I think your lady would be happier with her friends, even if they're a little mean. Heres how you'd re-introduce her:
  1. show her to the flock without them being able to touch her. This could mean bringing her dog crate outside while the others are roaming, holding her around them etc. until there is no interest in her. Don't let her sleep with them yet! save that for step 4
  2. slowly start letting her on the ground with them with supervision, walking around with her and breaking up any fights if necessary
  3. bonding activities, give them all treats to share, a nice dirt bath etc. again, monitor this incase she gets hurt
  4. once they have chilled out and theres no fighting/aggressive behavior, sneak her into the full coop at night. Introducing her back into the flock should be at a calm time, when the others aren't fully aware of whats happening
  5. then just check in every once in a while to make sure everythings all good!
Hope this helped!! And all of this should be done over a long period of time to get them used to her. I'd say at least 3 weeks, 1 week for step 1, 2 and 3

Giving her a private coop/run with a friend is a good idea. But also, is it possible to move her inside with u, and make her a house chicken? She can live in a parrot style cage, or even a rabbit/guinea pig style cage if needbe. U can let her outside during the day while u can watch over her, then bring her safely inside at night. I am speaking from personal experience, because i personally have one house chicken that has lived inside with me for the past 2 years. My hen is VERY content to be in her cage except for a few hours outside daily with the other chickens that free-range all day. She was also My favorite chicken when i brought her inside to heal from an injury. To my surprise, she was so content to be inside with me that i simply just never took her back out. I know some people even have diapers for their chickens so they can roam their house, but ive never gone that far. D'uccle hens are so petite and docile, that she may be very happy sharing your "big coop" with you. 😊

Poor thing, i'm so glad she made it. I actually have a very very similar situation here, my only polish hen had gotten super sick, and had to be separated for about 2 months from her flock. Now she's up and running again, but obviously being picked on when she's with the others. I think your lady would be happier with her friends, even if they're a little mean. Heres how you'd re-introduce her:
  1. show her to the flock without them being able to touch her. This could mean bringing her dog crate outside while the others are roaming, holding her around them etc. until there is no interest in her. Don't let her sleep with them yet! save that for step 4
  2. slowly start letting her on the ground with them with supervision, walking around with her and breaking up any fights if necessary
  3. bonding activities, give them all treats to share, a nice dirt bath etc. again, monitor this incase she gets hurt
  4. once they have chilled out and theres no fighting/aggressive behavior, sneak her into the full coop at night. Introducing her back into the flock should be at a calm time, when the others aren't fully aware of whats happening
  5. then just check in every once in a while to make sure everythings all good!
Hope this helped!! And all of this should be done over a long period of time to get them used to her. I'd say at least 3 weeks, 1 week for step 1, 2 and 3
As much as I'd like her to go back, the rest will all be free ranging and I just don't think she is safe. I realize the rest are at risk, but she is definitely easier to pick off then a full grown RIR.

I have a bird we had to separate due to the fact that we can’t ear her eggs. I have her in her own little condo inside my Chen coop. She would rather be out with the others, but she seems to have accepted her own space and she still has the others around.

Back
Top Bottom