Advice on incubators

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by KGEM, Nov 16, 2011.

1. KGEM

KGEM New Egg

Nov 8, 2011
    Hi there,
    I am interested in buying an incubator for home use.
    It must be fully automatic.
    What should I look for, so far I have googled the Hovabator 1602N and the JN8-48 (the JN comes in different types)

Please advise,

Thank you

2. clarkston_mike

clarkston_mike Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2011
    clarkston
    Brinsea octagon 20 or 40 advanced EX......set it and wait for them to hatch

3. CupOJoe42

CupOJoe42 CT Chicken Whisperer

Apr 11, 2011
    I want the Brinsea (so bad!) for Christmas, but now I don't know if the 20 Advance EX will be big enough, or if I'm going to wish I had the 40. Of course, if I have any broodies by then, I can leave some under her and save some money. I like the idea of "set it and forget it." Anyone have thoughts on this?

4. bikerchic

bikerchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2011
    Virginia
    I bought a ECO 20. I love it! The only problem is I wanted another! So I purchased #2. I am considering getting a third to use as a hatcher. I have no experience with other brands, but I absolutely love the Brinsea!

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:You ask a dozen people you will get a dozen different answers. I started out with an LG then Hova-Bators and have had many successful hatches. Now I have and older Sportsman cabinet. The only things I have done to it is to put a see through door on it and an digital thermostat in it. I love it. I incubate in it and hatch in my styrofoam incubators. It really depends on how much you want to spend and how many eggs you are planning on hatching. I have a Hova-Bator 1602n mine was a still air and I did add a fan to it. The 1588 is preset. All you have to do is add water The turner is optional. The JN8-48 is a nice incubator but for the price I would look into other options. Maybe try some places like Craigslist. This is just my opinion.

6. georgiagail

georgiagail Chillin' With My Peeps

How many eggs are you interested in hatching at a time?

I started with a Brinsea mini advanced (holds 7 eggs using the disk that comes with it). Now have TWO Brinsea mini advanced and two of the 12 egg disks for bantams.

Chicken math strikes again!

Gail

7. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    You can buy a cheap incu and hate it or you can buy a more expensive one an be glad you spent the extra money. All need to be learned how to use. Each has it's quirks. Once you develop "your technique" you'll do fine.

I have the Genesis 1588 recommended by Speckled hen and I like it. I bought it through "Incubator Warehouse". They are nice to deal with. If you e-mail or call , ask for Randy Pryor. He treated me well. They are cheaper but you an look around.

I also have an article on hatching that I e-mail to all who ask for it. It's from Practical Poultry magazine and helped me improve my hatches.

I wish you the best,

Rancher

8. KGEM

KGEM New Egg

Nov 8, 2011
    Ok, I got prices for the JN8-48, 115USD but the shipping is 310USD,
    The Hovabator 2362n is going for 70USD and shipping is 15USD.
    I am not going to rush, will still do more research.

9. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I have a Brinsea Octagon EX and I can thoroughly recommend them. It's been so reliable for me that I honestly think I'd be happy setting eggs and then going away for a weeks holiday, secure in the knowledge that they'd be fine in there. It was rather expensive (even second hand) but to me it was money well spent.

From everything I've heard, the various Hovabators are all good solid machines as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by