Advice on injured dog

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by animalgirl2010, Oct 23, 2011.

1. animalgirl2010

animalgirl2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    bootheel of missouri
    I was wondering if anyone could offer some advice, the dogs got in a fight and one has some bite wounds on her leg, the leg is swollen and she is holding it out b/c obviously she is in pain. She is laying down and doesn't want to get up (again the pain). I would prefer to wait until in the morning to go to the vet, all that we have available is an emergency clinic. I have tramadol (prescribed for another dog) would it be safe to give that and then head to the regular vet the earliest possible tommorrow? I have given her electrolytes and cleaned the wounds with clorhexidine (sp).

2. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    I would give asprin. And clean the wound with peroxide. And than put neosporin on it. Try to keep her calm and resting. If there are no other signs of any other injuries that are life threating and no extensive bleeding I would wait until morning. Dogs are very resiliant. Good luck and I hope everything works out for the best. [​IMG]

3. Marcymom3

Marcymom3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:This advice is perfect. Did this just happen today? Do you think she could have pulled a muscle or something in the fight? I wouldn't think the bites would cause it to swell that quickly. Still, your vet will want to irrigate the bites. They seem to close over and then get infected pretty fast. That is what happened to my Lab when she was attacked by a nutty St. Bernard while we were on a walk. She was on antibiotics afterward but made a full recovery.

Good luck. Hope you will post an update after you go to the vet.

4. tonkatuff

tonkatuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    Orange County NY
    The chlorhexadine is an EXCELLENT wound cleaner that is not at all damaging to healthy tissue like peroxide is. The Tramadol is a much more effective pain medication than aspirin. Do not clog up the wounds w/ ointment, just keep them clean by flushing them w/ the chlorhexadine until you can get to your vet.

5. animalgirl2010

May 9, 2008
    bootheel of missouri
    It was my Saint Bernard who attacked her, She isn't a small dog (45 lbs) I flushed out the wounds with the clorhexidine and I am going to get some antibiotic cream for her. Its not bleeding now, but I was just worried about the aspirin thinning the blood and it starting to bleed again?
    At this point i'm hoping nothing is broken as she is holding it awkwardly.

6. MeatKing

MeatKing Chillin' With My Peeps

Sounds like you got alot of good advice.. My dog just hurt himself.. Noticed it AM but didn't look that bad.. Cause of location...

Called Vet right before they closed, after work... They said cause it's been all day, really isn't gonna make a differnece to wait till moring.. So I would check him in the AM

7. Redyre Rotties

Redyre Rotties Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2009
    North Carolina, USA
    I would NOT give aspirin, it is a blood thinner and can cause severe gastro upset in many dogs. I also would NOT clean with hydrogen peroxide, in particular a puncture wound. Hydrogen Peroxide is an impediment to healing. When I had a dog in for bite wounds I was specifically instructed NOT to clean puncture wounds with peroxide. I would clean with diluted betadine solution, available at any drug store, dilute to the color of strong tea, and hot pack the wounds until they are clean. And I would use the tramadol.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  8. tonkatuff

tonkatuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    Orange County NY
    I would clean with diluted betadine solution, available at any drug store, dilute to the color of strong tea, and hot pack the wounds until they are clean.

Chlorhexidine-

For use in animals, it is used as a topical disinfectant of wounds. It is more effective in killing bacteria than both povidone-iodine and saline, and has residual effects up to 6 hours. Some common brand names are ChlorhexiDerm, ResiChlor, Savinox plus (Bioshields), Germi-STAT Antimicrobial Skin Cleanser, Nolvasan Skin and Wound Cleaner, and Nolvasan Ointment. It is also more beneficial to wound healing than using saline solutions alone.[13] Note, however, that problems[14] including deafness[15] have been associated with the use of chlorhexidine products in cats. It is commonly used to manage skin infections in dogs.​

9. animalgirl2010

May 9, 2008
    bootheel of missouri
    Thanks everyone. I just fed her a bit of food and gave her more of the electrolytes. I am going to wait a few minutes to give her the Tramadol b/c with the other dog it caused vomiting and I don't want her to have to go through that on top of everything else.

10. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Very Much agree! Studies have proven that hydrogen peroxide does more damage to skin layers and tissue that cause delayed healing and sometimes stops regrowth of skin layers all together. After learning about this at our clinic I will no longer use or recommend hydrogen peroxide for wounds, being they are so many other better products out there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by