Advice on intergrating two batches of chicks

starlitchicken

Chirping
Apr 30, 2023
A bit of back story so users have all the info:

My first batch of chicks is currently two weeks old. 13 of them are andalusians, 1 is a suspected white crested polish, and 2 are supposed leghorns. I’m getting another batch of chicks( half RIR, half barred Plymouth rocks) from the hatchery in two more weeks. I don’t plan on putting them in the same brooder as I would assume it would not be compatible due to the heat needed for the chicks that are under a week and the activity level of the month olds 🤷🏻‍♀️ I will be putting the first batch of chickens into the coop when they are about 6 weeks. How would I go about to safely introducing them before the second batch go on the same side of the coop ? I don’t want them to hurt each other because they weren’t introduced properly and just put together one night.

So when the first group is 6 weeks the second group will be around 4 weeks?

If temperatures are favorable, just put them all out together - younger birds don't really have set pecking orders, and the newness of being outside will further disorient them.
The two sets of chickens will be 10 weeks and 6 weeks perspectively. I have 1 rooster and five hens. They will be in a separate side of the coop. My family plans to divide the coop. Most of the wall would be wood some of it will be chicken wire to create a see, but not touch environment so the big girls/ rooster can get used of the sounds and smells of the new little girls.

by 6 weeks or so you should be able to start getting the first ones actually in the coop .. so it should all work out .. alittle strategy and theyll be fine, squabbles im not worried about, as long as its not chicken murder going on lol ...

by 6 weeks or so you should be able to start getting the first ones actually in the coop .. so it should all work out .. alittle strategy and theyll be fine, squabbles im not worried about, as long as its not chicken murder going on lol…
Thank you 😊

A bit of back story so users have all the info:

My first batch of chicks is currently two weeks old. 13 of them are andalusians, 1 is a suspected white crested polish, and 2 are supposed leghorns. I’m getting another batch of chicks( half RIR, half barred Plymouth rocks) from the hatchery in two more weeks. I don’t plan on putting them in the same brooder as I would assume it would not be compatible due to the heat needed for the chicks that are under a week and the activity level of the month olds 🤷🏻‍♀️ I will be putting the first batch of chickens into the coop when they are about 6 weeks. How would I go about to safely introducing them before the second batch go on the same side of the coop ? I don’t want them to hurt each other because they weren’t introduced properly and just put together one night.
Put netting down the middle so they can see eachother. Then slowly etc them all roam out w space , watching closely is what I did. I put the Lil chick's In a giant clear plastic tote and let the chickens look at them thru the chicken fencing. And vice versa. I did this everyday for a week. Then at 3 weeks I put them in all together. I had 16 others who were EE,americauna, blk majesty marans. The silkies are cochin bantam x silkie and americauna chick's. It's amazing how the rooster who is the young one rules the roost. He is so big now..and to aggressive for the new batch of silkies and polish.

Attachments

• 20230814_130849.jpg
    20230814_130849.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1
  • 20230814_142804.jpg
    20230814_142804.jpg
    760.6 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom