Advice on Introducing 2 new silkies to existing silkie flock

jnr005

Chirping
Feb 10, 2016
I have read quite a few articles on introducing new chickens...which are great. I have a slightly unique situation and wanted some advice.

Set-up: I currently have a large flock (36) of mix breeds and silkies around 7-8 months old. This was great until the cold hit and I realized we needed a new pen/home for the silkies (10 of them plus a copper moran) since they just pile on the run floor and won't go in the coop with the other birds. Its getting below freezing at night, so I was concerned for their health. So, last week we built another coop and are working on sectioning off part of the yard so the silkies can be in their own area and have a smaller coop they can pile on the floor of at night and be out of the weather.

I also have 2 silkie chicks (well, really 4 months old so not chicks, but 3 months younger than the rest) that are currently still residing in the chick pen/run on my deck... We had 3 but after a failed introduction to the flock this fall that resulted in the death of one, we haven't tried again. I think it was one of our Amerucana or Olive Egger roos that did the damage last time, but wasn't there to witness it so I am not sure. Either way, haven't seen the silkies be aggressive unless its a roo mounting the hen.

So, should I try to introduce the 2 younger silkies to the newly separated silkie flock as they will probably be re-establishing pecking order since I am removing them from the large Amerucana roosters and hens...or should I wait a week or two and then try? Silkies tend to be more docile...but not sure if its best to do now or wait. There is also a copper moran hen with the older silkies, but she is more silkie than anything else. (Grew up with the older silkies since she couldn't see as a baby...seems to see fine now, but still piles at night with them and stays in their "flock" so to speak).

I live on a smaller plot of land and winter is coming, so building more coops/pens is not feasible. I want the younger silkies to be able to free range and not be so cooped up, so I have to introduce them some way.

Are the established silkies in their new coop yet? If not, you could consider using the opportunity of introducing the younger birds to the established silkies to the new coop / run at the same time as the chicks. A new "home" will reduce any territorial aggressive behaviour. If the older silkies are already in residence, then I'd suggest that CReally's advice sound.

Coop is built and we put them in it at night, but the run has not been sectioned off yet so they are still with the original flock. We are building the separation fence this week which will force the older silkies to seperate from the flock. I guess I can build a small temp pen inside of there...but at night so I move the chicks back to their coop or try to put them in the silkies new coop?

Back
Top Bottom