Advice on introducing new silkies to slightly older silkies

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by HWeatherby, Apr 18, 2017.

1. HWeatherby

HWeatherby New Egg

Feb 26, 2017
    I have two silkies born in mid November and am getting two more hens that where born March 15th arriving next xt month. So in May my current will be 6 months and New will be 2 months. Any advice on best way to introduce them and how long it takes to get them used to each other is greatly appreciated as I am new to chicken world as of Feb 28th myself. These are my current babies. Caught the black one laying egg today and everyone thought she was a roo. I keep finding white feathers in nesting box and thought the white was my layer. The eggs are all same color so assuming coming from the same one....,[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. josieotto

josieotto New Egg

Apr 18, 2017
    Hi, I would take fencing and put it around a corner and put the silkies there for a while so they can see each other and get used to them. Then, I would slowly introduce them together so the older ones don't hurt the younger ones. Just make sure you're with the younger ones the whole time you're introducing them to the older ones.

Hope everything works out!!
    Abby

3. HWeatherby

HWeatherby New Egg

Feb 26, 2017
    One more question. Where do I put the babies at night to roost? Some say pace in roost with others and remove in am before sunrise. That make me nervous or do I bring inside since they are under 3 months?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by