Advice on leaving for the weekend - Close them in or leave it open

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by JMPE, May 14, 2010.

1. JMPE

JMPE Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2009
    Western Wisconsin
    I have 5 hens (9 months old). They live in coop that encompasses part of a 10'x10' shed and a 6'x10' run. The run is 6" tall with 1/2" hardwire cloth that is buried and under the sand in the run there is cement pavers. The top of the run has wood fencing slats spaced 2"-3" apart. I feel like it is pretty secure. [​IMG] Since this is the first weekend I am traveling in their adult life that hasn't been freezing cold, I am thinking about keeping the pop door to the run open for the two nights I will be gone. During the winter, I just left them closed in. If I'm gone longer, I always have someone stop by. Just curious what others would do. I am sure the girls would be happier to go out during the day provided something doesn't come in a eat them over night. This will be a common situation during the summer.

So what do you think... lock them up for a couple fo days, or leave the pop door open to the run? There are some construction pictures on my BYC page.

Thanks!

2. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    I wouldn't close them up in the coop, I would leave the pop door open. Try and find someone that can check on them once or twice a day.

I locked up my chickens once and came home about 5 hours later to find that they had pecked one hen bloody. Not cool.

3. MotherJean

MotherJean Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree, leave the pop door open, unless you have some sort of extraordinary predator problem you didn't mention. You have kids? If you do, you know that at some point you have to "let go" and just [​IMG] Sounds to me like you've done your best to give your girls a safe environment. Go away and try not to worry. It's no worse than the first time you turned over the car keys to your teenager [​IMG] They'll probably be just fine.

4. sotelomary

sotelomary Chillin' With My Peeps

It sounds like you have your coop fairly predator proof if you have the 1/2' hardware cloth all the way around? If so, I would leave the pop door open. I always leave my pop door open even in the winters since I have very mild ones. You should be fine, just remember to collect any eggs before you leave and when you return. You don't want those sitting around too long otherwise the chickens may start eating them. I'm sure you will remember to leave plenty of fresh water and food.

Enjoy your weekend. You deserve it!

Mary

5. MareeZoCool

MareeZoCool Chillin' With My Peeps

No I wouldn't lock them up with the warm temps. Beg or Bribe someone to stop once daily, to refresh the water & food, and double check the security.

6. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    This time of year, I leave my pop up door open 24 hours. my coop is enclosed in a tight run. I used to have to close the door each night, because my run was not tight and I do have predators. If I was late, I lost some. Hence the maximum security run.

I would leave the door open, put down a bit extra food and water, and not worry.

mk

7. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    We camp just about every other weekend in the summer. We leave the pop door open. We have a yappy little dog we call our *chicken dog". She isn't very tough but her bark is annoying and she barks at everything. So between her and the Nite Gaurd system we are going on the third summer without incident . (knocks on wood [​IMG] )

8. MareeZoCool

MareeZoCool Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Great advice! I agree 100%

9. JMPE

JMPE Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2009
    Western Wisconsin
    Thanks everyone. I left the door pop door open. My girls were happy and safe all weekend. Having a nipple waterer and PVC feeder means I can have peace of mind that the food and water will not be an issue for the weekend. We really tried to make the run as secure as possible since we have a long list of natural friends that like chicken dinner. We have not seen evidence of attepted break-ins, so I think we will go with this plan for short weekend trips until something comes up.

10. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    I am so glad everything went so well. I hope you had an enjoyable weekend. I know the first few times we left ours alone I would worry the whole time, then hold my breath as we pulled in the yard, expecting the worse! Now, after 2 years [​IMG] , I can relax!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by