Advice on mixing ducklings and adults

Srt4te

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 4, 2012
New jersey
I was looking for some help from experienced duck owners.Ive had an adult female for about 2 years that I raised with another duck.I recently got 2 more ducklings to be companions and join the flock.The ducklings are fine together which is expected and one duckling is fine with my adult but I have a problem with the other duckling and my adult.Ive tried every possibility as far as introduction goes but the duckling I have troubles with goes right after my adult.If I put the 2 in with the adult,each one separately with the adult,bad ducky first,bad ducky last, it makes no difference.Every time I put the"attack" duckling in with my adult the adult knows and freaks out and the duckling rears down opens its bill and runs right after my adult.Does anyone have experience with this? Does this mean that this duckling is a male? I just don't know how to get them all together as theyre old enough to be outside.I also don't want my adult female to be attacked and/or nervous. Any info or help would be greatly appreciated.

I was looking for some help from experienced duck owners.Ive had an adult female for about 2 years that I raised with another duck.I recently got 2 more ducklings to be companions and join the flock.The ducklings are fine together which is expected and one duckling is fine with my adult but I have a problem with the other duckling and my adult.Ive tried every possibility as far as introduction goes but the duckling I have troubles with goes right after my adult.If I put the 2 in with the adult,each one separately with the adult,bad ducky first,bad ducky last, it makes no difference.Every time I put the"attack" duckling in with my adult the adult knows and freaks out and the duckling rears down opens its bill and runs right after my adult.Does anyone have experience with this? Does this mean that this duckling is a male? I just don't know how to get them all together as theyre old enough to be outside.I also don't want my adult female to be attacked and/or nervous. Any info or help would be greatly appreciated.
Do you have them in a pen or back yard give us an idea, because I think separating them into 2 separate areas might be the best way of doing it. that way they get to be together but the bully duckling can't scare the adults. they will get use to each other and probably after a week or 2 can be put together for good. If you can't split the house you keep them in a large dog crate for night time sleeping inside the duck house may work. I have used this before to keep my chickens from being attacked until the flock got use to them just let them sleep inside a dog crate for about a week at night inside the coop.

I agree with Miss Lydia; put them in different pens. I am actually in the process of introducing a young duck into my flock. I made a smaller pen inside the big day pen and the new duck goes in the smaller pen. I also split the duck house in half by putting a fence up and the new duck goes on one side during the night. I have been doing this for a couple weeks now and there has been huge improvements. They all get along almost perfectly now!

Thank you Miss Lydia and Finny for the info and offering up some ideas.I currently have my adult female outside in a 10x16 pen with a4x4x6 house.My two ducklings are a little over 6 weeks old and inside in a large pen.I have been putting the one out consistently and putting the other outside on occasion with supervision.I think putting a fence up in the house would be a great idea and they would eventually work it out.I arranged to be able to swap out male for female with the person that I bought them from which really enticed me to get them so I just want them all to get along,haha.This is the first time ive ever had trouble introducing ducks so I was just looking for some help.Any other info would be great!!

Back
Top Bottom