advice on mixing two small flocks w roosters.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by someplumbcoop, Jun 7, 2011.

1. someplumbcoop

someplumbcoop Out Of The Brooder

Oct 19, 2010
    North Carolina
    We lost half our flock to a neighbors dog and she bought us some new chickens to help us replace them...before checking with us, we ended up with 5 new hens and another roo. Right now, they are in a hoop coop that is sitting inside our outside pen for all the chickens. The others go into the main coop at night, the newbies stay in the hoop coop. My questions are 1) how long do I keep them separated for "quarantine" and what am I looking for? and 2)how do I mix the two roosters? Right now, they are facing off each other on the other side of a fence (mighty funny, in fact!). The original roo, Tux, is growing back his tail feathers, but is the more aggressive of the two. Should I have my neighbor give back the other roo? The said they would take it back if needed. The newbie roo is pretty, however. How will I know they won't kill each other? I have had enough of doctoring up the chickens for a little while.

Thanks to all who are willing to give advice. BTW, I am giving the newbies vitamins/electrolytes. I am getting only one egg a day from them, though they are supposed to be good layers. How long till they settle?
    [​IMG]

2. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Good intigration plan and Yes, the roos will fight till one is the boss. If there are plenty of hens, this should not be a big issue after dominance is settled. There may be some lost feathers but depending the breed and the birds, one good butt kicking should settle things between them however it may take longer with the hens due to their number. Once the new birds know where the coop is, turn them loose and let nature take it's course. After things settle down, the egg count should come up if the birds are old enough and not molting. Would suggest a second roost that's same height so the birds can separate at night

3. someplumbcoop

someplumbcoop Out Of The Brooder

Oct 19, 2010
    North Carolina
    Thanks. I'm thinking of putting a 4' fence up between the two and allow the newer group some ranging. The newbies in the hoop coop will be there for a couple more days to make sure they know at least to have it as their coop until all are combined.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by