1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Advice on Moving Chickens in Iowa

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Ma, Jun 21, 2008.

1. Ma

Ma Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    Camanche, Iowa
    As some of you know, we have had to rehome our flock of 8. We are leaving the farm here in Iowa, to live with friends in Wisconsin.

We are truly blessed that Iowamom and her family are giving our 7 girls, and 1 guy, a new home. Thank you so much Iowamom, we would like to publicly recognize what a blessing you are.

We have a huge box, 2 1/2' x 2 1/2' by 5 1/2' that my husband made into a crate. Framed chicken wire top, with wire covered side windows, and a plywood reinforced bottom. We laid a small amount of straw on the bottom. They will be in this container for about 3 hours.

Does anyone have any additional advice for us? We are going tomorrow, the weather in the upper 70's, and we have an air-conditioned car.

As always, thank you all and God Bless.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2008
  2. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    You may want to stop along the way at least once and offer water or small amount of food.

3. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

I'd give a little water, but might hold off on the food...
    good luck with your move...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by