1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Advice on moving chickens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by RepoBob, Feb 16, 2008.

1. RepoBob

RepoBob Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2007
    Illinois
    I have a black orp roo and three blue orp hens which I want to breed. I've built about an 8ft square pen (64 sq ft), it has 2 nesting boxes. I want to take them from my main pen and seperate these 4 in the new pen. They have been liveig with my main flock since October, and this roo is top roo in the main pen. What is the best way to do this? Do I just put them in at any time of the day, or is it best to do it while they are roosting. The new pen is in the same coop, and they have walked around the new pen along with everyone else while I was building it so its not like I'm moving them to a new location. I know I have to wait three weeks to guarantee this roo is the "daddy", but will this move effect their laying? If so how long does it usually take for them to settle in. I don't know if I'm making more of this then I should, but they are laying daily and I don't want to disturb that if possible.

Thanks
    Bob

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Since they're already familiar with the pen I don't think it will probably affect them too badly. They might be a little unhappy that they can't join the rest of the group, but it's not like you're moving them to a completely new area.

3. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    I don't see a problem, if it was me I'd just move them over, and I probably wouldn't do it at night or when they're going to roost - let them have the day to scratch and pick around, they'll be fine! Give em some treats! [​IMG]

4. RepoBob

Nov 25, 2007
    Illinois
    Thanks you guys going out to move them now. [​IMG]

5. RepoBob

Nov 25, 2007
    Illinois
    Moved them, the roo was not happy. He started squawking and sticking his head threw the slats on the pen gate. I have a 32 inch solid wall between pens above that I have chicken wire to the ceiling. I have never seen this guy fly, but today when I put him in the other coop he flew up into the chicken wire a couple of times. Of course, this commotion cause all the other chickens to chime in and my normally calm, quiet coop sounded like a free far all . I'm afraid he might get hurt so I left all the pens open, gonna let everybody take a little walk. I'm thinking this way he may go into the new pen and get used to it, and help the other birds get used to each other. Tonight I'll let them roost wherever they want and try again tomorrow. Does that sound like a viable plan?

Bob

6. jab91864

jab91864 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2007
    Northern Michigan
    I think they might "freak" less if you move them after they have gone to roost. I would, if for no other reason, than they are easier to catch...lol.

Carry them in during dark and set them on the new roosts. They won't put up too much of a fuss because it is dark....probably. In the morning they will wake up to their new home.

Now it may or may not work, but why not give it a go. Might take them a few days to get adjusted but I think the rooster will be much happier when he realizes his ladies are coming with him and the other "guys" aren't ...lol

Good luck !!

Julie =0)

7. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Did you put the hens in with him? If not, and he was by himself that is probably why he was throwing a fit. Hope it goes smoother tomorrow. [​IMG]

8. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I'd try it tonight after dark tonight too.

9. RepoBob

Nov 25, 2007
    Illinois
    I put him in first alone. I squatted down and just watched him for a while. He walked around and checked things out. I did this with the gate open. Then I put two of the hens in with him, and closed the gate so I could go get the third. That's when he became unhappy.
    The roost I put in the new pen is between the nesting boxes and a brooder pen I have mounted on the wall about 4 feet off the ground. When I seen him close to the roost I can see there's not enough room, he's just to darn big. So Plan B...Gonna leave everyone sleep wherever they want to tonight, all pens are open. Tomorrow I rearrange the roost to better suit him. How long of a roost would 4 birds need? I can easily give them about 3 ft, but do have room for a longer roost if needed. His new roost will be lower than the old one, in a different pen of course, but he can still see the old one threw the chicken wire. Will that make a difference? After I get the roost right, I'll stay in the coop and put him and the ladies into the new pen with the gate open and see what happens. I'll do this a few times throughout the day. Meanwhile I'll let everybody roam the coop. Then tomorrow evening after they roost I'll follow Julie's advise and put him and his ladies in the new pen and see what happens. Only problem with that is I have the lights come on at 4:30 AM. and I don't really want to get up that early. I'm concerned he may freak and hurt himself.
    And to think 6 months ago I thought all you had to do to raise chickens is keep them warm, give the some food, and collect eggs. [​IMG] , but it sure is fun.

[​IMG]
    Bob

Last edited: Feb 16, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by