Advice on moving day? New coop with new chickens

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by princess araucana, Aug 8, 2009.

1. princess araucana

princess araucana Songster

Nov 18, 2008
    Rhode Island
    Hi, it is sooo close to being done!! I never thought it would take this long!

We have four older hens and four new 4 month olds we will mix into the new coop.

Any advice on best way/ how/ when to move everyone in together?

Won't my older girls miss their old coop?

Can't wait to show off with pictures soon!

2. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    It may take them a few days to get used to it and "pick" their spots, but they will be fine. They might not lay normal for a few days. Some might adjust faster than the others.

As far as putting them together, I would just do it at a time when you can supervise for a while. At 4 months they should be big enough to hold their own.

Good luck and post pics of the new Chicken Palace when you can!!

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Free Ranging

Feb 2, 2009
    Southeast Louisiana
    If you have not seen it, this is a great article on how to integrate flocks.

Buff Hooligan’s Adding to your flock
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2593-adding-to-your-flock

I agree with Chickenchick. I'd put the young ones in a few days before I added the older hens. You are going to get pecking order issues anyway, but the older hens will be a little less territorial. It may be less vicious. I'd also consider having two separate eating and drinking stations for a few days. It may cut down on potential conflict initiaters.

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:I agree!!!

5. princess araucana

princess araucana Songster

Nov 18, 2008
    Rhode Island
    Thanks, great article!! I need to figure out how to find those. Is there some kind of index for info pages like that? I like how there is a sticky at the top of some sections like coop building...
    I love this place!

6. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Free Ranging

Feb 2, 2009
    Southeast Louisiana
    When I find an article or thread that I think is worth saving, I save the link on a word document. I need to do a better job of organizing it but it sure comes in handy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: