Advice on my four turkey poults

Jocasta

Songster
8 Years
Apr 8, 2011
They are ten weeks old and have been put in their permanent home in the garden. They are enclosed with chickens. Over the last few days, the turkeys have been looking pretty peaky. They are not nearly as active as they were, I haven't seen one of the strutt in days, their pink bits are paler, and I've discovered some very light brown, foamy poop in the pen (although there's no guarantee this is from any of the turkeys). The also have been sat hunched up with their necks pulled in

Now obviously the first thing I thought of was blackhead, but someone on here made me feel a little silly for thinking that as it's apparently very rare. The stools aren't yellow, but much lighter brown than I'm happy with, although it could be from one of the chickens.

Another thought has occurred to me. The weather here has taken a turn for the worse and dropped by about ten degrees. Could it simply be the cold? Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong with them?

And I'm reluctant to ask this, but how long do turkeys live once they contract blackhead? How long before I can realistically rule that out?

TIA

I hope someone is able to help because I have had the same issue. I have lost six poults with the same symptoms. They start looking droopy and act lethargic and listless. Then they die. I lost my last poult last night.
sad.png

Sorry for your troubles. I am not a good disease person, but the hunched position with the withdrawn neck is not a good sign. Cool weather should not produce lethargy. Someone here will undoubtedly produce some suggestions. In the meantime, adding some vitamins to their water can't hurt, and is often a general suggestion.

I have had good success with tylan-50 1cc per 10lbs body weight for 5 days. i like to inject it into a large muscle so i know each bird is getting the correct amount.

I'm actually pretty sure it's blackhead :'( I've just been out to add cider vinegar to their water and cayenne to their feed (was a suggestion on another poultry site) and there is sulphur coloured poop out there. I'm devastated.

Back
Top Bottom