Advice on my incubator

willeyd

In the Brooder
May 23, 2015
Hi everyone. New to the forum and new to chicken incubation. I bought a cheap incubator off eBay. Most incubators I've seen people lay the eggs on their side. However, my incubator doesn't allow you to lay the eggs on their side. They need to be standing upright.
I did my research and put the pointy side down, big end up top. I think I read U have to rotate and let the eggs sit at a 45 degree angle. However, my incubator is jam packed (apparently holds 7 eggs). For this reason it doesn't exactly allow me to put the eggs at a 45 degree angle when I try rotate them. Will this affect my hatching? Any advice appreciated.

Egghead_Jr

Crowing
10 Years
Oct 16, 2010
NEK, VT
Rotating eggs greatly increases hatch rate. If the eggs can't rotate in the incubator then use something to tilt the entire incubator. A thick book like dictionary or Bible to place under right side edge then move to left side. Repeat as often as you can, every 8 hours or so is good.

willeyd

In the Brooder
May 23, 2015
I can't do that because then the water will move from the tray and destroy the electronics...any other advice? I still move the eggs to the best of my ability...

Egghead_Jr

Crowing
10 Years
Oct 16, 2010
NEK, VT
Many don't use water in the first 18 days of incubation. Research "dry incubation". I use a shot glass myself, entire glass with water sitting in incubator. I'd try it if I were you and get a full tilt of the eggs. The more angle you can tilt (up to 45 degree) and more often the better.

Run it dry for 7 days and candle. You'll likely see the air cell growth is good and will run dry for another 7 days making 14 total and candle again. By monitoring the air cell growth you'll know if you need more humidity. Very likely you can go 14 days and even 18 days without adding water. This way you can get better tilt. The eggs don't need to be tilted anymore at day 15ish so if you decide to add some water then you can stop tilting the incubator.

Last edited:

AmyLynn2374

Humidity Queen
5 Years
Oct 11, 2014
Gouverneur, NY
Rotating eggs greatly increases hatch rate. If the eggs can't rotate in the incubator then use something to tilt the entire incubator. A thick book like dictionary or Bible to place under right side edge then move to left side. Repeat as often as you can, every 8 hours or so is good.
I was going to say the same thing...lol

Many don't use water in the first 18 days of incubation. Research "dry incubation". I use a shot glass myself, entire glass with water sitting in incubator. I'd try it if I were you and get a full tilt of the eggs. The more angle you can tilt (up to 45 degree) and more often the better.

Run it dry for 7 days and candle. You'll likely see the air cell growth is good and will run dry for another 7 days making 14 total and candle again. By monitoring the air cell growth you'll know if you need more humidity. Very likely you can go 14 days and even 18 days without adding water. This way you can get better tilt. The eggs don't need to be tilted anymore at day 15ish so if you decide to add some water then you can stop tilting the incubator.

Xs 2. I do "dry" or low humidity incubation and use this method: http://letsraisechickens.weebly.com...anuals-understanding-and-controlling-humidity

father time

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 28, 2013
for starters why do we roll eggs its to prevent the inside from sticking to shell as they start to form. the more you roll or tilt the better. i know people say dont take out of incubator but i saw a friend with this problem and this is what he did. three times a day he quickly took his eggs out laid them on their side and rolled them gently and put them back in. now he had to go to work the last week of incubation so a boarder he had was supposed to do it for him but he for what ever reason did not. but he got a decent hatch after all that.

punky1991

Chirping
5 Years
Dec 28, 2014
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/983177/my-day-12-egg-candling-video#post_15307722

this incubator is advertised saying you dont have to turn them cause of how they incubate but seems like people are skeptical if that would work or not i only have 4 eggs in mine so its not so packed full. when i first set the eggs i filled it with water but was told my humidity was too high so right now im running it dry and my humidity is holding fine my room humidity is 55 percent

Top Bottom