Advice on nests

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Niss, Aug 28, 2011.

1. Niss

Niss Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    My ducks free range all day. At night they are locked in a 4x8 vented box. I have straw on the floor. If I ignore them past dark they will go in on their own, but are never in the coop durring the day.
    I haven't found any eggs yet, but was thinking they may be laying/start soon. (oldest ones were hatched in March)
    What should I do to encurage laying in the coop so I can find yhe eggs? I thought at first nest noxes wouldn't be needed, but somethings when I put them in or let them out they run aeround in there. Raised boxes? bucket on it's side? fake eggs (I used golfball for the chickend, are they big enough for the ducks?)?

2. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Fake eggs and some type of nest. Darker is better.

3. animalpro24

animalpro24 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Oregon
    Golfballs work as fake eggs. You can either make a makeshift nest on the ground with the straw or get a box or plastic container and cut out a door/opening in the front and put straw and the fake eggs in it. My runner lays her eggs where ever she wants in the coop. all spread out. My mallard layed her eggs in one nest. Depends on the duck.

4. Niss

Apr 29, 2011
    Thanks! I have a rubbermade I used as a brooder, and with the lid broken its not good for much...

My gals are as follows: 3 wild mallards, 2 pekins, 2 cuyugas, 2 sweeds.

5. animalpro24

May 13, 2011
    Oregon
    My ducks shared nests so you might not need nine nests. The rubbermaid would work great! You might want to get more though.

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I have 6 Muscovy hens and they use 2 nests. they like to actually share and will lay together. I use pins shavings. the nest is just where they sleep. no special box or anything.

7. animalpro24

May 13, 2011
    Oregon
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2011
  8. Niss

Apr 29, 2011
    After cleaning the coop and putting down new hay, I added a tote with pine chips and fake eggs. Thanks for the help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by