1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Advice on New Flock

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by abcn123s, Feb 28, 2017.

1. abcn123s

abcn123s Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2016
    Southwest Colorado
    We were ready to get our chicks by March 8th.. our local feed store said they would be able to get all 9 of our breed picks in by then. We found out today that most won't be in until April 12th and one won't be in until May 20th. Is it better to find all of our breeds at once for getting our flock started, even if it means we won't get the breeds we really want at first?

It is also possible to get 25% of our choices in on the 8th of March, another 25% of our choices in on the 15th of March. If we introduce day olds to a group of week olds, are we inviting trouble? We are going to start everyone in our coop from day 1 and using the Mother Hen Heating Pad.

Uggh! Rich man problems, we know!!! We just wanted to get as close to our wish list the 1st time around as we can.

2. mclanea

mclanea Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2016
    San Diego
    So your over all plan is 9 chickens? And your current coop... is it empty?

Just curious!

3. peeper89

peeper89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2017
    order from hatchery then u get what u want when u want

4. abcn123s

Feb 20, 2016
    Southwest Colorado
    our current coop is empty! Our plan is to have 18-20 chicks... knowing that a few might not make it or we may have to re-home roosters.

5. abcn123s

Feb 20, 2016
    Southwest Colorado
    We are having a hard time getting all our picks before the end of June that way! So frustrating!!

6. mclanea

mclanea Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2016
    San Diego
    Gotcha. Sounds like fun.

Well, conventional wisdom would be to keep the 1 day old ones separate from older ones until they hit a week or so and then you could probably put them all together.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by