Advice on new turkeys.

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by millhoff, May 11, 2008.

1. millhoff

millhoff Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2007
    North East Ohio
    I have 21 new BBB turkeys, I have them in a plastic tote brooder with a sheet for the bottom. I have their permenant brooder ready and warm, but I have pine shavings and I don't want to put them in it to soon because of them picking at the shavings and getting impacted. My question is when to move them? I have had them for four days now and started chick grit today.

Any thoughts???[​IMG]

Last edited: May 11, 2008
  2. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    You can move them when you are ready... just use the same feeder that you were using since they associate it with food.

3. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

You can cover the pine shavings with paper towels and move them whenever you're ready.

4. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    as said move them when ready.an make sure they know where their feeder is.so they wont eat the shavings.

5. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    If they are already 4 days old, the paper towels probably aren't necessary. They may peck at the shavings a bit out of curiosity, but they know what food is now.

6. millhoff

millhoff Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2007
    North East Ohio
    Thanks everybody, I moved them and they are fine. As soon as I put them in the larger brooder they all started running around chasing each other like they went mad. (I could of stayed there and watched them all day)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by