Advice on no anti-biotic treatments

kriley0311

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 27, 2012
Alabama
I just purchased 2 laced winedottes, 1 buff brahamas, and a RI Roo. The hens are around 11 months old and I'm not too sure about the Roo. I purchased them from a place that did not have the greatest conditions... I'm noticing a wheeze and a sneeze in the Roo. Not noticing anything from the hens. I'm wondering if this wheeze will clear up in the fresh air (they will be free range with me) or is there a way I can treat him without anti-biotics. Also, should I go ahead and treat the hens and the rest of the flock? I don't want to use anti-biotics because they are for egg production. Any adivice on helping these birds would be greatly appreciated.

Congratualtions, I'm glad you're not going to treat your sick rooster with antibiotics. Cull him before he infects the hens, if you dont, you'll have to cull them as well. Then you can disinfect everything and wait several months before you repopulate with healthy birds.

Congratualtions, I'm glad you're not going to treat your sick rooster with antibiotics. Cull him before he infects the hens, if you dont, you'll have to cull them as well. Then you can disinfect everything and wait several months before you repopulate with healthy birds.

That really kinda sums it up best.

What is the deal with not wanting to treat chickens with proper medications just because they are for egg production?

It is nice that would like to treat your flock as naturally as possible....however the choice to NEVER treat with medications/antibiotics no matter what is cruel.

Quote: Antibiotics have egg withdrawal times, some as long as 3 weeks or more. Antibiotics will NOT treat viral diseases. Additionally wheezing and sneezing is indicative of a respiratory disease as in the OP's rooster situation. Chickens can be treated for respiratory diseases, but are NEVER cured of the disease and they remain CARRIERS and can easily spread it to other birds. It's best to cull, disinfect and start over.

I do not not give myself anti biotics untill absolutely necessary. I personally do not like them in my own body and do not want to ingest antibiotics. I mainly wanted to test the waters on if anyone had any other sugestions... Could I isolate him for a while to see if he clears up? I do not want to immediately cull him since we just got him.

Back
Top Bottom