1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Advice on Ordering Chicks from a Hatchery

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by MudPie, Jan 13, 2010.

1. MudPie

MudPie Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2009
    Htuos Lartnec Anatnom
    This is my first time ordering chicks. In the past I've always picked some up a local feed stores. I have a couple of questions about ordering some birds from a hatchery.

I’d first like to state that I’m not interested in turning this thread into another this hatchery is better than that because of order problems, DOA chicks, sick chicks, etc. I’ve already read a lot on that sort of thing. No need to rehash old arguments. [​IMG]

First - What are the thoughts on having the hatchery vaccinate the chicks? Pros/Cons?

Second – I’m planning on ordering some Barred Rocks from either Cackle's or Mt Healthy. Has anyone had experiences w/ this breed, from these two hatcheries? I’d like to have some birds that represent the breed well. I’m not showing birds. I just enjoy having them around, and producing eggs for the family.

Any insight is most welcome.

Thanks, Joe

2. australorp_breeder

australorp_breeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    California
    Hi,

I've only ordered chicks from a hatchery once and it was Murray McMurray Hatchery. I don't see any cons in having chicks vaccinated, it's very beneficial. My 5 Jersey Giants and 20 Australorps I ordered got vaccinated and they've been perfectly fine! They're currently a year and a half old, and have never got sick or anything. My Partridge Cochin cockerel recently passed away about five days ago from pneumonia. I bought him from someone and I'm not sure if he was vaccinated. I know Murray McMurray vaccinates against Marek's and other stuff. Not too sure about Cackle or Mt. Healthy. And sorry, but I can't help you with the breed as I've only had a Barred Rock once and that was about ten years ago. Oh, and the vaccination was free. Not sure if it is for every hatchery.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  3. FlashPointFarm

FlashPointFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2009
    Iowa
    Myself and a couple others ordered from Cackle last year. I think they did pretty good for as busy as all of the hatchery's were last year.

My husband bought 10 barred rocks from a local feed store. I was told that they were originally from Cackle Hatchery. I love them. The breed is very friendly. They aren't really aggressive, but they don't seem to let other birds push them around. They are my best layers.

I had one go broody on me and hatched out some chicks out in my yard last Summer. I didn't even realize she was missing. One afternoon I had the window open at my computer and kept hearing cheaping. Looked outside and she was in the back yard with about 10 chicks in tow. She was a good mamma, but wanted to go back to laying and being herself again after about 3 or 4 weeks, can't remember exactly.

I usually don't have mine vaccinated.

As far as breed representation, there is no doubt that these are barred rocks.

Anyway, hope this helps you!

4. KyBlue

KyBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2008
    Southeastern KY
    I have a few Barred Rock pullets that I got in a pullet assortment from Mt. Healthy last July. I received BRs, Buff Orps, Speckled Sussex, RIR, Hubbard Comets, and Easter Eggers. The BRs are my favorites, personality wise, out of all those breeds. They are very quiet and mild-mannered. So far the Comets are the only ones laying, but the BRs look like they will start very soon. I have been pleasantly surprised with the quality of the birds. No, they are not show worthy, but they are great looking hatchery birds. They have better barring than I expected and are a little bigger than expected. The BRs and Orps are the largest of the lot.

5. MudPie

Jun 5, 2009
    Htuos Lartnec Anatnom
    Thanks for the input.

I just placed an order for 75 Barred Rock pullets from Mt Healthy. I requested a hatch date of 3/7. I went on and got the vaccinations. I'll post some picks when they arrive.

-Joe-

6. RM44

RM44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2009
    Woodstock, Georgia
    I sort of wish I had vaccinated mine. I got 25 from Welp and I love them! Healthy and happy, but I do kind of wish I had asked for vaccinations. I'm interested in hearing how yours do with the vaccines.

Good luck and enjoy those baby fuzzy butts!

7. MudPie

Jun 5, 2009
    Htuos Lartnec Anatnom
    My first set of birds came from TSC chick days. I don't know if they were vaccinated or not. I've never lost one of them, 17 I beleive, due to any apparent health issue. Dogs, foxes, etc are another issue. I did have one Creasted Polish that just seemed retarded. He would just wonder off and sit for sometimes days. I gave her to a friend and she eventually died. Lived for probably six months. I had other Crested Polish's, they as a breed just don't seem to be very bright. Maybe it is all related to the limited visibility. They tend to wonder off and stay wondered for long periods. I find them sitting on a fence or in a tree, they sometimes never come back to roost. They eventually disappear. I've got one left out of 4. But agian, I don't think it is desease.

I'll post some pics when they arrive and post some followup info as they grow. I think BR's are really neat looking.

8. australorp_breeder

australorp_breeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    California
    Quote:LOL!

And I can't wait to see them! I'll keep this subscribed until you post a piccy.

9. FlashPointFarm

FlashPointFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2009
    Iowa
    I agree with you on the Polish. I've lost several the same way. They wander off and don't come back. Definately not for free ranging! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by