Advice on Our Hybrids loosing neck feathers

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by meandwolf, Jul 28, 2010.

1. meandwolf

meandwolf New Egg

Jul 28, 2010
    Hi,
    We got 4 Hybrids 5 months ago & all doing well, laying every day. Noticed last month a few were loosing feathers on their bums, we found some lice & have treated them 3 times now, we have disinfected out the coop & run area & do seem to have got on top of this problem. WE treated them with powder, though we bought stuff to dip them in but havent used it yet as the 2 bad ones the skin was to raw, 2 of the birds were pretty bad & have lost alot of feathers on their bums, legs & tummy's. While one bird had a few the larger one seems to be clear.

Anyway, One of the infested birds has been loosing neck feathers, it seems to be getting worse. The quills are still there it is only the feathers that have gone but one particular bird seems unhappy & will not let us get a good look at the neck? We are worried there may be another infestation & wonder if we have enough space for all 4 or if it is a cleaning issue.

Anyone any ideas or thoughts, we are new to this chicken lark & are worried the bird is becoming stressed

Cheers:)

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  2. Kanga77510

Kanga77510 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2009
    Santa Fe, TX
    Do you have a rooster in the group? When he breeds, he'll grab hold of the hen by her "shoulders" and even the neck feathers. It's not pretty, and can get serious.

3. meandwolf

meandwolf New Egg

Jul 28, 2010
    No, no Roosters, all girls

4. birdparadise

birdparadise New Egg

Jul 28, 2010
    Tampa Bay area, Fl
    Lice can be an ongoing issue, especially if you live in a year round warm climate as we do. Every two to three months everyone gets powdered as a preventive. I go so far as to gently push their feathers backwards to make sure I am getting it on their skin where the little buggers live.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by