Advice on outside pen for peacock

yorkchick

Songster
12 Years
Sep 22, 2008
SE Michigan (Greater Dexter Metro Area)
I have one peacock, acquired as a stray that showed up at a neighbor’s house. He currently lives in a room in my barn that is about 11‘ by 13’ feet. Right now Maurice is my only bird—I have had chickens, geese, and turkeys that free ranged in the past, in secure housing at night, but there are plenty of predators where I live, to the point that even the big geese were eventually killed. Because he is in the barn and I never trusted him to free range, he’s stayed safe. But I want to give him more room, and possibly a peahen or two for company in the future.
79966239-C241-4334-B78C-C4ABB2A768A9.jpeg

Last fall, some wonderful friends helped me start the outside pen. A couple days ago, they were able to come over and do more work. (Proper social distancing was observed! :old). We made a lot of progress, although it’s not ready yet!
BA012127-725F-4342-BE9A-E5AEE2E872EC.jpeg

The pen is 12‘ by 12’, and 8’ tall. The window you can see leads to the peacock’s room (he often perches on the sill and looks out, probably hoping to see some fine peahens...:rolleyes:). The plan is to remove the big window fan and replace it with a sort of “doggy door” for him to enter/exit the pen (with a perch outside near the window so he can transition from the window to the ground and back). (In case you’re wondering, the person who owned the property before us did some furniture-making, and used the room in the barn as a paint/varnish room, hence the big industrial fan).

A few questions. What about the top of the pen? We’ve got 2x4’s to support whatever we put up there. I think I’ve read that putting solid fencing up is a problem because the peas can fly up and break their necks. I do have some flight netting to use (although are those 2x4‘s a danger?) BUT given my previous problems with predators, I also feel like a raccoon could easily climb to the top and chew through the flight netting, and get into the pen. Which is the greater danger?

I am planning to do more predator-proofing of the pen. I know the rules for making chicken pens predator-resistant (my coop was actually good, it was losses from free ranging during the day that did my birds in before). The fencing we used for the pea pen is roll fencing, what they call “no climb” style (obviously not thinking of raccoons there!), with a 2” x 4” mesh size. I do have most of a big roll of 1/2” hardware cloth, which I used on openings to my chicken coop. Do I need to reinforce the pea pen with something as secure as the hardware cloth? Or another type of fencing with a smaller mesh size than the 2” x 4” that’s up now?

We buried the fencing probably about 6” deep all the way around, except on one side where big tree roots made it impossible—on that side the extra fencing is aproned out horizontally. But I know that a determined digger could get under that, so I’m planning to attach maybe 12” of fencing out as a horizontal apron on all 3 sides.

Any comments or improvements anyone would care to suggest at this point would be appreciated! I am really trying to improve this guy’s life, but I don’t want him to end up killed like my other birds, which were very happy... until they weren’t 😢

Oh, and speaking of improving his life... this pen will about double his living space. Would there be room for a peahen to join him? Room for a couple peahens? :fl

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you may have!

Last edited:
Wow, Maurice is one lucky guy! And beautiful to boot. The amount of time, thought, and effort you have put into his safety and well-being is heart-warming! I can't offer a lot of expertise as this is my first year with my chickens, but hopefully others will chime in :)

Very nice!
I don't have peafowl, but I do notice that he's living with a solid roof right now, and hasn't killed himself yet.
Safest is hardware cloth, at least for chickens, because rats and weasels can get through the woven wire, and raccoons can pull body parts through it. What do the folks on the peafowl thread say about weasels?
If he has free access to the run 24/7, having increases security will be best, as a solid roof and hardware cloth, and that means much better framing for the snow load. Otherwise, netting, hardware cloth, or something may be good enough for daytime. Usually.
Peahens? What a good idea!
A friend of mine had peafowl for years, and I'll ask her about it too.
Mary

I have one peacock, acquired as a stray that showed up at a neighbor’s house. He currently lives in a room in my barn that is about 11‘ by 13’ feet. Right now Maurice is my only bird—I have had chickens, geese, and turkeys that free ranged in the past, in secure housing at night, but there are plenty of predators where I live, to the point that even the big geese were eventually killed. Because he is in the barn and I never trusted him to free range, he’s stayed safe. But I want to give him more room, and possibly a peahen or two for company in the future.
View attachment 2126584
Last fall, some wonderful friends helped me start the outside pen. A couple days ago, they were able to come over and do more work. (Proper social distancing was observed! :old). We made a lot of progress, although it’s not ready yet!
View attachment 2126520
The pen is 12‘ by 12’, and 8’ tall. The window you can see leads to the peacock’s room (he often perches on the sill and looks out, probably hoping to see some fine peahens...:rolleyes:). The plan is to remove the big window fan and replace it with a sort of “doggy door” for him to enter/exit the pen (with a perch outside near the window so he can transition from the window to the ground and back). (In case you’re wondering, the person who owned the property before us did some furniture-making, and used the room in the barn as a paint/varnish room, hence the big industrial fan).

A few questions. What about the top of the pen? We’ve got 2x4’s to support whatever we put up there. I think I’ve read that putting solid fencing up is a problem because the peas can fly up and break their necks. I do have some flight netting to use (although are those 2x4‘s a danger?) BUT given my previous problems with predators, I also feel like a raccoon could easily climb to the top and chew through the flight netting, and get into the pen. Which is the greater danger?

I am planning to do more predator-proofing of the pen. I know the rules for making chicken pens predator-resistant (my coop was actually good, it was losses from free ranging during the day that did my birds in before). The fencing we used for the pea pen is roll fencing, what they call “no climb” style (obviously not thinking of raccoons there!), with a 2” x 4” mesh size. I do have most of a big roll of 1/2” hardware cloth, which I used on openings to my chicken coop. Do I need to reinforce the pea pen with something as secure as the hardware cloth? Or another type of fencing with a smaller mesh size than the 2” x 4” that’s up now?

We buried the fencing probably about 6” deep all the way around, except on one side where big tree roots made it impossible—on that side the extra fencing is aproned out horizontally. But I know that a determined digger could get under that, so I’m planning to attach maybe 12” of fencing out as a horizontal apron on all 3 sides.

Any comments or improvements anyone would care to suggest at this point would be appreciated! I am really trying to improve this guy’s life, but I don’t want him to end up killed like my other birds, which were very happy... until they weren’t 😢

Oh, and speaking of improving his life... this pen will about double his living space. Would there be room for a peahen to join him? Room for a couple peahens? :fl

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you may have!
you might put an electric wire about 1foot up from the ground that also discourages climbers and diggers
beautiful bird and run. not sure how much room pea's need. good luck with him, them :)

No coffee yet this AM! Yes, electric fencing is your friend!
I cant's see how that woven wire is attached to the framing. Best is with fencing staples, and then covered with 1"x4" boards, screwed into the framing. Raccoons and big dogs are what you need to fear, and do you have black bears?
Mary

Very nice!
I don't have peafowl, but I do notice that he's living with a solid roof right now, and hasn't killed himself yet.
Safest is hardware cloth, at least for chickens, because rats and weasels can get through the woven wire, and raccoons can pull body parts through it. What do the folks on the peafowl thread say about weasels?
If he has free access to the run 24/7, having increases security will be best, as a solid roof and hardware cloth, and that means much better framing for the snow load. Otherwise, netting, hardware cloth, or something may be good enough for daytime. Usually.
Peahens? What a good idea!
A friend of mine had peafowl for years, and I'll ask her about it too.
Mary

Thank you! I’m waiting for the peafowl folks to chime in, but what I remember is there is a danger if they can see sky, they will try to fly up. The ceiling in his room is solid, so no worries there. Maybe hardware cloth would be dense enough to provide a visual barrier?

you might put an electric wire about 1foot up from the ground that also discourages climbers and diggers
beautiful bird and run. not sure how much room pea's need. good luck with him, them :)

The electric wire is a good idea! I’m sure raccoons can get onto the roof of the barn and then onto the top of the pen, though, so wouldn’t need to climb the pen itself. 😖

I've used heavy duty poultry netting over the top of my pens for years and it seems to keep things from getting in. I think it's possible that a raccoon could through chew through that netting, but I have not ever heard of that happening. You could run a strand of hot wire around the top of your pen and coop, so that if something did try to climb up they'd get a good zap on the nose.

Looks like you are building pea fowl fort Knox! Good job.

Back
Top Bottom