1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

advice on overdue egg please..

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by brianharries, Aug 6, 2013.

1. brianharries

brianharries New Egg

Aug 6, 2013
    I had two chicks hatch 8 days ago, then another one 6 days later, mum is still sitting on 1 remaining egg. I have performed the "floater" in water test and the egg is floating just above the water completely vertical, no movement can be detected. (Exactly the same as chick number 3 the day before it succesfully hatched) My concern is that the egg is oozing small water droplets through various parts of the shell and although it is clear liquid there is an odour from the egg. Shoud I discard it or how long should I wait to see if anything happens??

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    It sounds as though the egg has gone bad. I would discard it, as it appears that if there was any chick in it, the chick is dead now.

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
  4. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! Sounds to me as if the egg is bad, I would get rid of it.

5. brianharries

brianharries New Egg

Aug 6, 2013
    Thnaks for your advice. That gives me the confidence I need to discard it. Just a thought, should the egg have sank if its dead or is does it just sink if it never developed??

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! Happy you joined!

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] Carefully get it into a plastic bag and seal shut - stink eggs are prone to explode and contaminate everything around them. The egg probably floats from the gas of deterioration

8. brianharries

brianharries New Egg

Aug 6, 2013
    Thanks all for your advice. I removed the egg this morning and indeed there was a dead, half grown chick inside. So glad to have removed it before it exploded! Have disinfected the coop today so mum and 3 chicks should now be happy....thanks again to everyone who replied with advice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by