Advice on painting (or not) elastomeric paint on R-panel metal roofing

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Wink, Feb 12, 2011.

1. Wink

Wink Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    Texas
    I found a great deal on the r-panel metal roofing off of craigsist. The non-colored stuff is 1.50 per linear ft, while a forest green is 1.75 per linear ft.

I live here in Texas, where, of course, the summers get pretty smoking hot. The coop and run will be located partially in the woods, where there are some young trees providing some dappled shade. the coop is oriented facing east to west, with the morning sun shining onto the front of the coop.

Does anyone have experience with elastomeric paint on the r-panels or any metal roof? Is it worth it (the cooling properties of the paint)? I was hoping to take the paint into a home depot or lowes so that it can be tinted to a nice green (coop will be barn red with the white trim look)

If the paint isn't worth it, i was going to buy the forest green r-panel, otherwise I'd get the bare stuff and pay to paint it.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2011
  2. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Sorry, I have no idea about the paint. But I'm in North Texas, and after two summers with chickens I do know that heat is a real problem and anything you can do to mitigate it is worth the trouble. If you paint, wouldn't a white paint be better, to reflect the light rather than absorb it?

I've tried several different housing arrangements, but what is working best is a coop sited in the afternoon shade, fully insulated, highly ventilated (32 square feet of adjustable vents in an 8' by 8' coop), plus radiant roof sheathing. In the summer, the inside of the coop gets no warmer than the outside ambient air, which was what I was hoping. The ambient temperatures are plenty hot enough.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=32217-the-just-right-coop

3. Wink

Aug 24, 2010
    Texas
    I guess that since it's an elastomeric paint, that the cooling properties are within the paint itself....not the color?! That's what I got from reading about it! the elastomeric paint does come in different colors, but only the white Kool seal brand is on sale off of Amazon!
    :)

I'm not opposed to white, and I can buy the white r-panel for 1.75 lineal ft, but my thinking was that I would have to put the elastomeric paint on it anyhow to really cool it down.....

4. Wink

Aug 24, 2010
    Texas
    Quote:I always visit your BYC page because I noted before that you were Texas....I'm nabbing your ideas left and right! :)

5. Moabite

Moabite Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2010
    Utah
    White is an efficient color for reflecting heat, but it is bright and glaring to look at. It also works a bit like a mirror and reflects the heat to the observer. I would go with the green myself or a beige. The better it blends with the surroundings the easier it will be on the eyes. I have not a clue on elastomeric paints. In my observations, it seems that darker colors absorb the heat to make the environment more cool. Granted it will be hotter to the touch. Think of a solar oven.

My coop has a fiberglass roof (truck topper [​IMG] )I have it under some partial shade, but I'm currently looking for the best way to make a living roof to stay attached to the slick fiberglass. Green plants and irrigation ought to keep it cool.

Anyway, good luck.

6. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

Quote:I live in the desert... How about a double roof. Do one out of plywood then put corrugated over the top. The air space is a natural insulator. Plywood then furring strips for the space and then the tin.

7. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

Quote:How about turning your truck topper over and putting your greens on the underside which should be a lot rougher than the gel coat side. Plus youd have a natural tray. Couple of holes on the low edge for drainage. (cut with an abrasive cutter not a drill)

8. elmo

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    I live in the desert... How about a double roof. Do one out of plywood then put corrugated over the top. The air space is a natural insulator. Plywood then furring strips for the space and then the tin.

That is an excellent idea. My husband spent the weekend last summer in the Hill Country at the fancy schmancy architect designed home of a friend of his. The home looked really weird, but it worked very well to keep cooler in the summer There was a sort of huge permanent sunshade on poles set above the roof, a gap of airspace, then the roof. Even in August, they need very little air conditioning to keep the house comfortable...certainly much less than they'd need without the shade.​

9. elmo

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Quote:I'm pleased my page is being of use to you! Holler at me if there's ever anything I help you out with.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by