Advice on pasty butt

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RedNewcomer, Feb 23, 2014.

1. RedNewcomer

RedNewcomer Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2014
    Marysville Ohio
    I just received 15 chicks from Meyers that are now 4 days old. The first couple days they all thrived and still are but I'm noticing there beginning to get pasty butt. Not all of them have this and a couple others have it to what I think bad. Yesterday evening I trimmed up what I could, whipped them clean and put a small amount of olive oil on the ones that were bad. I'm not sure if there is much else I can do to prevent it from happining and I would like any feedback possible. I also added ACV to the water.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Be sure they have plenty of space, and that they can get away from the heat source and cool off if they wish. It is surprisingly easy to overheat new chicks, and they can have different temperature preferences. Be sure there is always plenty of fresh water; they shuld never run out, or have their water full of pine shavings or other litter. This can be a little tricky when they are young as they kick up litter so badly. I mush have raised their waterer 3 or 4 times before it was high enough to keep them in fresh water. Lastly, you can add a small amount of molasses to the water. Pasty butt is essentially constipation, which in turn can be related to being overheated and/or dehydrated. I had better luck with Vaseline or Neosporin on their bottoms after I cleaned them, I think because it is solid, it had better staying power -- but oil is OK, too. To clean, it was easiest to me to hold their butts under a slowly running stream of warm water til the stuff soaked off. Took a few minutes, but I didn't have to do any scrubbing or picking.

Good luck!

3. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    When my chicks get pasty butt I add a good probotics to the water and it cures it right up. I use Probios probotics that I order online. A jar lasts a long time and it's good for the whole flock. What it does is add beneficial bacteria into the gut and once they colonized it even fights bad bacteria and keeps their system healthy. You can use it on a regular basis as well for optimal intestinal health. I found this product a few years back when I was having problems with pasting in my chicks. It worked so wonderfully I use it for my whole flock and I'm happy and greatful to say they don't ever have problems with loose stool now. It's easy to use you just add it in the water. At one teaspoon per gallon. It's really been a God send for my flock. You can order it online or some tractor supplies carry it. But I order online be cause I get a larger jar than tractor supply has by doing it that way. You might want to give it a try.its really worked wonderfully in my flock. Chicks and adult birds alike benefit from it. It stopped the pasty butt in my chicks and I liked it so much I've used it ever since. You will be surprised at what a difference it makes in the stool. It's adding all those beneficial bacteria into the system and helps prevent bad bacteria from coming back. It also balances the system. You can read online about the benefits of adding a probotics to your flock. Probios has been a wonderful addition to my flock. I'm sure it can help regulate your chicken back to normal. I know it worked wonderfully for mine. I hope this helps. Do consider giving it a try. I think you will be impressed. I know I was. Best wishes to you and your flock!

4. yellowbeard

yellowbeard New Egg

Feb 4, 2014
    Sounds like you already did everything right.

I put mine on a fresh towel. Makes it harder to stick as opposed to when they're put on wood shavings.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Pasting up is just something that occurs in shipped chicks from the cold or dehydration. They should be checked for it once a day, and after 7-10 days, you will probably notice none have it. I would skip the ACV since it may do more harm than good to a chick's GI tract. Just wash them off under war water with your fingers and a little soap.

6. RedNewcomer

RedNewcomer Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2014
    Marysville Ohio
    Thank you all so much. Iv been keeping a close eye on it as much as I can. They have more room than they know what to do with right now. I do have them on shavings so maybe I should change that for just a while. Thanks again everyone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by