1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Advice on Pen-G Procaine

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Dixiegirl01, May 2, 2017.

1. Dixiegirl01

Dixiegirl01 Just Hatched

Jul 12, 2016
    Hi. Our WH drake has a case of bumble foot that has been ongoing for 7-10 days and has progressively gotten worse. He is limping quite badly and has taken to laying down more than usual. The abscess is located on the bottom of his foot, between the hind toe and toes, at the base of his shank/leg. The swelling is quite pronounced, hot to the touch, and I am unable to locate the "kernel". Despite epsom salt soaks, application of: Vetericyn spray, betadine, Neem oil, antibiotic ointments, and wrapping, I believe injectable antibiotics are the next step.

Through our local feed store I purchased a bottle of Aspen Bactracillin G, Penicillin G Procaine injectable solution, 300,000 units per/ml. The instructions I was given indicate 1ml (cc) per 100 lbs, and duration of treatment between 3-5 days.

This is the first time I have had to treat one of our ducks with injectable antibiotics and could use some advice(*hand holding*)from others who have experience. Feel free to share any insight, but the questions I have are:

- Based on breed standards, male Welsh Harlequins average 4.5 - 5.5 lbs. Will 0.125 -0.150 ml (cc) be a correct and adequate dose?

- Since he roams with the "girls", is it wise to dispose of the eggs collected? If so, for how long?

Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by