Advice on pendulous crop

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by pookiegoldman, Aug 5, 2010.

1. pookiegoldman

pookiegoldman Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2010
    Grand Isle, Louisiana
    Hi guys,

I have a white turkey who from my own research has got a pendulous crop. His crop is constantly full throughout the day, and even in the morning. When he sees me approach with the food bucket, he rushes the pen and kicks as if he is starving. I seperated him yesterday from the rest and placed him in a small chicken coop with only water. Today his crop looks about the same. How long should I keep him there without food, or what steps should I take. There is only 1 vet around, and he doesn't travel here...
    Thanks!!

2. Tunastopper

Tunastopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    When I use to hand feed birds we used applesauce if we had a slow crop. I have read some people use a few dropper full of mineral oil down into the crop. Then massage it. I never did it with a turkey. Good Luck.

3. pookiegoldman

pookiegoldman Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2010
    Grand Isle, Louisiana
    Update for anyone with the same problem...
    After isolating the turkey for 3 days, only having water to drink, I noticed that all the food that was previously held in the crop was now digested. We used a little oil down the throat, and massaged the crop for a few minutes. The turkey started to gag but not much would come up. We held the turkey upside down, massaged some more then a whole lot of sour liquid came up. The turkey seemed fine, then reintroduced him back into the flock. It's been 2 days since and his crop is now empty in the morning as it should be.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by