1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Advice on pens/cages for ducklings

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by midgie, Apr 21, 2012.

1. midgie

midgie New Egg

Apr 21, 2012
    Hi,

apologies if this has been asked before, but I was looking for some advice on pens to keep ducklings safe.

We have two ducks that have gone broody. One has been happily sitting for a few weeks on her clutch and I want to build a rat-proof pen for her and any ducklings that should be due fairly soon.

My plan was to build a cage around the shelter she's in (which is about 3 feet by 2 feet by 2 feet high - an old wall-cabinet I weather-proofed) that could be dismantled later in the year, but I'd like advice on how big it should be to allow space for running around in, putting in a basin of water etc?

What could complicate things is the other duck is starting to go broody but has decided to find a hedge somewhere. She's still building up her clutch of eggs and is only sitting part of day, so once I find where she goes, is there a good way to move her and eggs into another shelter/pen. Also, should that pen be separate from the other duck's or can both ducks and their ducklings share a pen and water?

Many thanks,
    Kev

2. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL

3. midgie

midgie New Egg

Apr 21, 2012
    Thanks for tips on size and for relocating other duck. Was planning on doing that but I've still got to find the nest in the first place!

Thanks,
    Kevin

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by