advice on pet doors (cat flap) for VERY COLD WINTER climate?

patandchickens

Flock Mistress
12 Years
Apr 20, 2007
Ontario, Canada
So I'm building this outdoor enclosure 'empire' for my stupid perverse hunger-strike-going-on Mojo cat. (Well, the other cats get to use it too of course <g>).

My original idea was that there was no way to make it even remotely all-season (it gets down to -35C here in the winter), since entry has to be through a cat flap in what is currently the computer room and will very soon be the master bedroom when we swithc things around so the 2 yr old can get his own room. But then I looked around www.petdoorstore.com and there seems to be some possibility of actually having the outdoor run be usable for much of the year (day only).

I currently have a pet door (smallest dog door size) with a single flexible flap and magnetic thingies to encourage it to not be ajar. (They do not work very well at all on this model btw). There is no weatherstripping, and I do not think this will be useable past maybe late October or mid November.

I need something weatherstripped and probably with two flaps. We can block it off at night with an insulated cover, but I'd like them to have daytime access for most of the winter without freezing the house. No possibility of spending over US$200is, and I would have a lot better chance of talking DH into something half that price
tongue.png
(I am seriously considering just buying two replacement flaps and building the frames and weatherstripping myself...)

Anyone have recommendations, either in terms of specific make/model FOR COLD WINTER CLIMATES or in terms of features that you have found to be helpful or anti-helpful?

Thanks very much,

Pat

Last edited:
A door lightly weighted to hang shut, and a straw bale tunnel leading to the opening, if this is an exterior shelter.

Quote:
The window is about 8' above the ground so no strawbales, but I am planning on covering the first 'chamber' of the run with plastic for the winter. However it will still get reeeeeeal cold in there, and I want more than just a single leaky flap between very-subzero-F temperatures and my bedroom, you know?
wink.png

Thanks you guys for bumping this... hopefully SOMEONE else has been in this situation, we have lots of members from like Minnesota and Alaska...

Pat

Pat--

There are some other options...we don't get as cold as you--about -15F for a week or two but we do have a LOT of wind...

We use a cat door from home depot in our tack shed--where we have a litter box, auto feeder and big fannel blankets for the kitties. If it's REALLY cold, they are inside...

They do have telescoping tunnels that you can add to garages or whatever that don't let as much cold air in...

And I've also considered one of those that fits in the window, is insulated and is a tunnel...my uncle has FOUR cats and he uses this...

Back
Top Bottom