advice on premier electric fencing

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by diggergal, Jun 10, 2011.

1. diggergal

diggergal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    Illinois
    I am considering purchasing the 48 inch tall Premier Poultry Fence. We are building a predator proof covered run but like the idea of having some portable fencing. One of my concerns is flight over the fence.
    Any pros and cons to this fence?
    Anyone have experience with this fence?

2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I have a half-length (82') of the poultry electronet, and also a full section of the sheep electronet for my sheep.

I love it as long as you are prepared to cater to its idiosyncrasies. Which are that you ABSOLUTELY MUST keep the grass TOTALLY SKIMMED DOWN TO THE GROUND all the time (even moreso than with the sheep electronet, b/c the lowest wire on the poultry net is lower and thus always closer to grounding out), and you will need to add additional step-in posts and corner tiebacks if you're in a location where it'll be exposed to wind. Also it won't really work in the wintertime if you get a buncha snow.

It is quite easy to move (to relocate, or to move over and mow the fenceline and replace the fence where it was), you just gotta DO IT when it needs it, not say "oh well maybe I'll get to it tuesday or something like that".

As with any electric fence it requires a suitably sized charger (takes a bigger charger for a given lenght of fence than some other types of electric fencing do) and you have to install it correctly with good electrical connections and use a GOOD fence tester on it frequently, preferably daily, to make sure you detect and fix any problems.

Chickens can certainly flly over it if they want. Whether they will want to is pretty unpredictable, altho the greener and more-interesting "inside" is, the less they tend to exert themselves to explore "outside". Mainly tho it is for keeping dogs etc out, more than keeping chickens in per se.

Personally I think it is useful for the chickens and the best thing since sliced bread (and what's so great about sliced bread, anyhow?) for the sheep. But ONLY if you keep the weeds down and use extra posts/tiebacks as needed.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

3. TDM

TDM Chillin' With My Peeps

I use 8 ft x 16 ft mobile hen houses with 65 birds in each enclosed in 100 ft x 100 ft areas fenced with Premier's 48" double spiked permanet. These gets moved every three or four days to new areas. The birds have little incentive to range beyond the borders, and haven't had any escapee's that I know about.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

4. diggergal

Dec 2, 2010
    Illinois
    Thank you for your reply TDM. Your mobile coop is really neat. I am definitely going with the 48 inch and it sounds like I should get the double spike posts.

Thank you Pat. I have learned sooo much from your BYC page and responses to my questions. I do not plan to use the premier fencing in the winter. Mainly I want it to give my chickens some new, fresh range areas. I am getting a little ahead of myself. My chickens are 2 months old and we don't even have the outdoor covered run complete yet. We hope to work on the run this weekend if the rain holds off. The Premier fencing is a bit pricey but sounds like it might be a good idea so that will be what I will be saving for next. Chickens are like all hobbies, just need that "one" more thing to make it better, easier, nicer..........

5. ParadiseFoundFarm

ParadiseFoundFarm Goddess of Good Things

Jul 6, 2010
    Joliet, IL
    I lost so many birds.
    I got 400', 48", double post, upgraded extra strong power thingy. Spent $1000.00. Had I known how good it is, would have spent $2000.00 without blinking an eye. Well worth the money. My birds do not fly over it ( although they could if they wanted to).
    Lost birds to my dog. 100lb golden retriever. He touched the fence 1 time and ran for the woods. Didn't hear from him for 3 hours and he is since extremely respectful of fence.
    Lost birds to coyotes. Even with me within 10 feet. I have been agressed by 2 coyote, teeth barred and comming right at me in the middle of the morning. These are tough coyotes I have here. Got the fence and 2 days later this is what happened: Awoke @ 1:45AM to the sound of an animal in distress. Recognized the agonous cries as that of a coyote running for the woods. Once it got there the rest of the coyotes joined in the chorus. You could just hear them saying "What happenened?" and the response: "Don't go near there! It looks like free chicken dinner but but but it's a TRAP!" [​IMG] I just laughed in bed!!!! Never heard from them again.
    BUY IT!
    Denise
    Paradise Found

6. diggergal

Dec 2, 2010
    Illinois
    Thanks Denise. I am also in IL, south and west of you, near Moline (Quad Cities) IL. I have had coyotes come right in my backyard (before I got my chickens) trying to entice my dog away. I hear them in the woods quite often but haven't seen one for almost a year but I know they are there. And I know at some point they will investigate my coop. I really was afraid to let them free range much with all the predators around. Glad to hear some more positive endorsements before spending the $$$$$.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by