Advice on prevention

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by moonlitfarms, Jul 14, 2008.

1. moonlitfarms

moonlitfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2007
    Indiana
    My son is taking pullets to the local fair. This is our first time showing poultry. Just wondering if it's a good idea to give the birds some type of vaccine or med before they go to fair. These birds will come back home after fair so I was just wondering about this and if so what should I give them. Please drop a post with your thoughts. [​IMG]

2. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I've heard of some people that show using vaccines and some not. I don't show, so can't really help you with that. I do know that often people quarantine show birds after they come back. You might want to think about that, too.

My impression is that how careful people are has a lot to do with whether they have decades of their life invested in working with their blood lines, along with a significant financial investment. Some people are just a lot more careful, also. I hope you can get some recommendations from others that have more experience.

And good luck! [​IMG]

3. sammi

sammi Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2007
    Southeast USA
    you might want to try to contact whoever is running the show at the fair ..
    there might be rules about vaccines, etc..

4. moonlitfarms

moonlitfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2007
    Indiana
    I just don't always trust other people are clean with their flocks and I don't want to bring that home. Just thought someone may have some advice from experience.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by