Advice on Prolapsed Vent!

missalysha

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 21, 2009
Does anyone know if you can cut a small opening in the membrane and release the egg that way?! It might sound like a silly question, but i am new at this whole thing and i have a bantam that has prolapsed. Her egg is small and the membrane around it seems very thin.. i have started her on antibiotics to help prevent infection. I have tried pushing it back in but she keeps wanting to push it right back out again.

I am just wondering if anyone has done this successfully or has heard of it. I have done a bit of research and have heard that someone cut the whole thing off and their chicken healed up fine is apparently laying to this day.. seems kinda extreme and unnecessary to me! Any advice/opinions would be great! Thanks!

And does anyone know if she will be backed up if i dont remove this egg soon? Im worried that i cant push it back in, in case another egg is one its way down too.

Hi!
If there is an egg in there, you'll probably need to get it out- I did see a post (I think!) where someone did push everything back in?-search under prolapse and see if that one comes up. I had one with a bad prolapse a while back, this is what I did, but she'd already had a hole (tissue had started to die) in the oviduct that I pushed the egg through.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=3104557#p3104557
After
a short recooperation, my pullet was back up and laying, and hasn't had any trouble since.
Sorry I couldn't be of more help at the moment, my little guy just woke up!
Good Luck!

Thanks for that.. very helpful. The egg definitely wont stay back in and the membrane is starting to get firmer and a bit crusty.. i gave her another warm bath and washed it as best i could and then put vaseline and betadine on.. i am continuing to give her antibiotics and will give her hard boiled egg today. Once my partner gets home i will get him to hold her while i try to cut the egg out.. wish me luck! My poor little girl.. shes being so brave!

Back
Top Bottom