Advice on raising a ducking! All is welcome :)

ducklova

Hatching
May 24, 2015
I have a little duckling, for the first few days I was feeding her without grit. Then I noticed swelling around her neck. I was informed she was having trouble digesting. Immediately, I went and purchased some grit. Often I would massage it she'd vomit a brown to darker brown liquid. Once she'd vomited on her own, just kind of pouring out of her mouth. It was more clear brown then. I was super worried. Since I've purchased the grit, its been about two days one night, I want to say I've noticed the swelling go down. I read somewhere this evening when they get the swelling to massage it. I happened upon one article talking about holding them upside down and gently rubbing it, that a black rancid liquid would be released. Unsure, I was curious if that would help. I love my little Knit and I hate the thought of losing her. So I tilted her at an upside down slight angle, but not so far it could drain down her nose, and for those few seconds I massaged her I was pleased to see some icky dark brown liquid release from her. Immediately I felt less pressure in her chest. I gave her a break and tried again more gently, no results. I haven't wanted to try again since the last few attempts were unsuccessful. I was wondering if there is anything else I could do for her? I'm afraid if I do nothing its an automatic death sentence so if anyone knows anything, please help!!!!!

drumstick diva

Still crazy after all these years.
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Aug 26, 2009
Out to pasture
OKAY first post in detail at "Emergences, diseases, injuries, cures," thread. While waiting for a response. Please ALSO post at "Other Backyard Poultry" on the DUCK .thread.

While this is going ON please stay on line. So many people post a problem and then go off line - we have no way to reach them. Someone very well will also respond to you on this thread.

I hope someone can help you. I don't know if the way to handle this for ducks is the same as what's done for chickens. What was she eating before this occurred?

Top Bottom