Advice on raising Ducklings and Chicks together

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Brittany0309, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Brittany0309

Brittany0309 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2012
    Hi, all. We just ordered 3 ducks (a cayuga, a crested cayuga and rouen- all male) and 6 bantam silkies. I had a few questions. I've raised ducks to release on our lake before so I know the basics of duckling care, but these ones we plan on keeping as pets and I have never done chicks.

I am wondering first off if we can coop the ducks with the hens. It will only be at night as we plan on letting them free range during the day. If I can then how big should the coop be for the 3 boys and 2 or 3 bantams?

Are ducks easy to get to bed? I know that chickens get into the routine and kind of go on their own, and on the lake it's like the boys down there know at 5:30 like clock work that it is time to go wherever it is they have found to sleep at night. Is it the same if we kept them in our yard?

Our other option for cooping the ducks is to put a doggy door on our utility door so they can go in our laundry room at night. The floors are linoleum so they'll be easy to clean up but I almost think being in a coop would be easier for us.

Can ducklings and chicks eat the same feed as babies? My local farm supply store solf me flock grower, but when we had our last batch we had them on a mash I believe. Should I be going back to get something different?

What does everyone do for coops? My husband is KIND of handy but says that if he builds it won't be anything great off the top of his head. I tried looking for plans but IDK what I'm looking at and everything you can buy on-line for a coop seems so expensive!

And lastly, is there a way that I can attempt to sex my bantams? We only want to keep 2 or 3 hens so I bought 6 to increase my odds of finding two and someone is taking the rest. I know it isn't easy to do, but any pointers wold be great. I THINK that is it, although I'm sure I'll think of something else. Thank you in advance for you help, guys!

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  2. cassidy22

cassidy22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Front Range - Colorado
    Ducklings and chicks can eat the same food, however...

They can't eat from the same type of feeders. Ducks have long bills, and often can't get into chick feeders. Also, it can be dangerous for ducks and chicks to be together, if the chicks peck at the ducks' feet. Their feet are very soft, and easily damaged.

Also, ducks are MESSY! They get in the water and jsut dirty it up so quickly, and they get everything wet - which isn't good for the chicks, who don't have the same oils to protect them from water.

I don't suggest brooding or cooping them together.

But yes, ducks can be trained to go into a coop at night. BUT if they have a nice pond - they won't come in unless the weather is really terrible. And for a duck, that essentially means that their pond is frozen!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by