advice on re-homing my male duck to a good home

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jennytg3, Jan 21, 2012.

1. jennytg3

jennytg3 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 1, 2010
    portland
    Hi - I have a wonderful male Indian Runner duck - white and beige - hand-raised - you can pick him up and hold him as long as you want, but I need to find him a new home. I have two other females and he is too amorous with them - one keeps injuring her wing and is pretty delicate and my duck is a big guy.

I want to find him a good home where he will be appreciated and not become dinner. Any advice on how to do this? I'm willing to give him away for free but didn't know if then people would just take him for free and eat him.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Jenny

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

When I was trying to find a home for a beautiful Ameraucana roo I had, I used Craigs List. I'm sure I scared a bunch of people off, because I did a huge write-up on him - you'd have thought I was trying to get him on a season of The Bachelor or something. I included several pics too.
    I drilled people who contacted me with interest, and it was obvious that some of them either didn't have proper facilities or perhaps wanted him for dinner. These were eliminated within a few emails. I even turned down one man who stopped by with his daughter to see him - they thought his daughter might show him. But it was obvious that the daughter wanted a lap chicken, and this roo was not that - so I worried that he might not last long there.
    I finally found a lady who drove an hour to look at him. I figured a chicken dinner wasn't worth her gasoline in driving that far. She was able to tell me about her flock, her facilities (which were basic, but adequate), how she feeds, etc., so I knew she at least knew chickens. That's not to say he didn't end up in a soup pot - there are no guarantees when you give them away (I gave him away for free - although I'd paid quite a bit to have him shipped to me). If you can afford time, that will help because you can be picky and ask a lot of questions (via email or phone). If you're in a hurry to place him, you may be in more of a pickle.

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Go to the Oregon thread and ask around there . you might just find someone in your neck of the woods that would love to have him...
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/48/oregon/2500

Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  4. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Being a runner is a good point on not going to a home where he will be eaten- since they are not known for being a meat breed, Make sure you point out the facts that he is so tame- and even that he could make a great pet that isnt noisy since its the girls who have such a loud voice. Being that you are heading toward spring their may also be people looking to add an extra bloodline into their flock for breeding in the spring. Good luck with finding him a new home.

5. duckdad

duckdad Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2011
    Tell the prospective new owners that he's tame, hand raised as a pet and his tracking/data chip from P.E.T.A. is paid and good for life so they always know how he's doing. He is part of a "study". Tell them that cost a fortune and its already paid for life, but you're not going to charge them for that because you just want him to have a good home....

Anyone with ill intentions would expose themselves right then and there....Anyone that truely wanted him as a pet wouldn't even blink.

Of course thats a regional test at best. Here In Texas these hillbillys think PETA stands for People Eating Tastey Animals.....

its Texas, what can I say?

Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    [​IMG] I'm sorry but that just struck me funny about PETA and Texans

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  7. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Advertise him on Craigslist in the pet section, not the livestock section. Put something in the title to indicate that he is a tame pet.

Put in a nice looking photo of him. Mention that drakes have quiet voices. If he is accustomed to children, say so. People who keep ducks for pets don't care what gender. People who keep chickens care very much what gender. So drakes are much easier to find pet homes for than roosters.

8. Scovy Momma

Scovy Momma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2012
    Sacramento CA
    Wow,if you weren't a state over I'd say I'd take him if he is truley very tame. The quietness is a must that's why I love my Muscovy.
    Craigslist is a good bet,that's how I got my girl. Petfinder is another place to post him on. I'm sure you can find someone who can love him in OR.
    Good luck!

9. jennytg3

jennytg3 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 1, 2010
    portland
    thanks to all of you for your wonderful advice! I really appreciate it and will try these methods. Thanks!

10. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Please post back and let us know when you find him a home... we love a happy ending!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by