1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Advice on Rebuilding My Flock

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kcardella, Dec 7, 2009.

1. kcardella

kcardella Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Leslie, AR
    As some of you may know, I lost all but one of my entire flock (9 birds) of Khaki Campbells and Welsh Harlequins to a neighbor's pitbull on Thanksgiving.

I am considering my options while we put a new roof on the night pen; building fencing, etc. The lone surviving duck is still recuperating in our garage, and just started with daily (supervised) outings yesterday. She is missing most of her feathers, and her oil gland is not working properly; I am not sure if this is permanent. She is slowly getting better, but I am not sure she will ever be the same.

We are planning to order more ducks in the spring, but am not sure which way to go, now that I have had some experience. My lost flock consisted of 1 KC drake, 4 KC ducks, 1 WH drake, 3 WH ducks. I had never planned to have drakes as I wanted eggs only, but Metzer mis-sexed one Khaki Campbell, and when they sent me a replacement, they included the WH drake for warmth. I really fell in love with the boys; they were very sweet, and beautiful to look at (sadly, the WH boy was just getting his gorgeous feathering when he was killed).

So... I am considering ordering all girls again from Metzer, as was my original plan, or taking my chances with the sexes and ordering several breeds from Holderread Farms. As I have learned on this forum, Holderread's have great quality ducks, although I was very happy with the birds I received from Metzer. I am not really interested in breeding right now, but it never hurts to have good quality birds if I every make that decision, and I really don't mind a couple of drakes.

How difficult would it be to place the extra drakes if I went the Holderread route? I am thinking of pedigreed Khakis, Welsh Harlequins, and maybe Magpies. I have also considered all Welsh Harlequins, as I really fell in love with them.

Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Sometimes it can be hard rehoming a drake. I was able to give away a roeun drake. I also sold a khaki drake and a wh drake, but I also included a female with each. It is easy to sell adult pairs for $25. I love my Metzer girls, but my Holderreads WH drake is SO HANDSOME and despite being flock raised, he is so friendly. He takes his guard duties very seriously and NOTHING gets in that back yard without him telling me [​IMG]

3. kcardella

kcardella Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Leslie, AR
    I know, Wifezilla; I love your boy - he is very handsome!!

I called Holderreads to see if they had any adult pairs of KC or WH. Then I would buy extra females from Metzer, but alas, they are out for this year.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by