Advice on rehoming chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by FurFeatherFriendsFarm, Jun 4, 2019.

Tags:
  1. FurFeatherFriendsFarm

FurFeatherFriendsFarm In the Brooder

Jun 4, 2019
    Southwest Ohio
    We are very disappointed but have reached the point where we need to downsize our chicken flock. Would love any advice on how/where to find good homes for them. We have a variety of breeds and both roosters and hens that need rehomed. Thanks in advance

2. Sing Brightly Bantams

Sing Brightly Bantams In the Brooder

Jun 3, 2019
    What country are you located in? For residents of the United States, craigslist.org is a popular choice. Canadian residents frequently turn to kijiji.ca. If you do not want your chickens to potentially be used as food, you might want to pursue personal connections as a way to sell them instead. Printing out flyers and putting them up at feed or general store bulletin boards is another way to get the most eyes on your birds. Put effort into your ads, do not simply say that you have "chickens for sale." I have had the most success when I used buzzwords such as "free ranged," "heritage breeds," and "hand-raised." While I would rather present simply the facts in an advertisement, people respond to flash and glitter. Be truthful, but be descriptive. Include photographs, too; I cannot overstate the importance of a high-quality photograph in getting people to look at your ad.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
  3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Excellent advice @Sing Brightly Bantams!!

Welcome to BYC! @FurFeatherFriendsFarm and @Sing Brightly Bantams
    Where in this world are you located?
    Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
    Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
    It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
    upload_2019-6-5_8-40-43.png

4. Acre4Me

Acre4Me Crowing

Nov 12, 2017
    Western Ohio
    We googled “livestock auction near me”. We found one that does a monthly auction and sold all we brought and left with cash in hand. Appears that different families purchased our chickens for small backyard flocks. You can also google: “chicken swaps”, “agriculture swaps” to get dome results.

CL or FB marketplace are options, but I didn’t want to have to deal with meeting up with someone, just wanted to take them and sell them quickly.

Our other option was a friend whose dad has a farm-he said he would take any chickens we didn’t want.

We also thought about posting on the community board at the feed/garden/outdoor store nearby.

Good luck.

5. FurFeatherFriendsFarm

Jun 4, 2019
    Southwest Ohio
    Thanks so much for the replies and advice. I hadn’t thought about ads at a feed store. I prefer for them not to be eaten as the hens are great layers and the roosters are very nice and pretty. I have asked around but haven’t found any personal connections that want them.
    Side note: I have updated the location in my profile. I am in southwestern Ohio.

BigBlueHen53 likes this.
  6. Peppercorngal

Peppercorngal Crowing

Feb 5, 2018
    Feather Falls, CA
    Use this forum! There is a section called "Re-Homing" in the "Buy-Sell-Trade" forum. I always look there just in case I can rescue a chicken in my area! Give it a try. Good Luck! :hugs

FurFeatherFriendsFarm likes this.
  7. FurFeatherFriendsFarm

Jun 4, 2019
    Southwest Ohio
    Thanks so much!!! However, I checked it out and unfortunately it looks like I cannot advertise on here as I have already advertised elsewhere. If I’m wrong on this let me know.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
  8. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Crowing

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    If you have good laying hens - put an add up at the feed store near the chicken feed. The roosters can be a bit more of a crapshoot. However, once they are no longer yours, you really have no say. Just let them go.

9. Peppercorngal

Peppercorngal Crowing

Feb 5, 2018
    Feather Falls, CA
    I don't know anything about that. Did you see it somewhere? If you were around me I would take your hens for sure! Good Luck! :hugs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: