Advice on rehoming ducks??

anonymous99

Songster
Jun 20, 2021
I’ve decided that I’m gonna rehome most of my male ducks and this is one of the hardest decisions i’ve had to make bc I love them to death, but there’s too many of them. I’m keeping 3 boys with my 2 girls that are separated. My problem is that I don’t wanna just give them to someone who wants them. I want them to be able to have experience in taking care of ducks. I don’t want them to kill them or eat them. How do I go about finding someone who won’t kill or eat them?

How do I go about finding someone who won’t ......... eat them?
That is a difficult position you are at. It is the same with peeps wanting to re-home their extra roosters.
Duck flock keepers do not need many drakes,, ratio proportion,, to their female ducks.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :hugs

Iv'e sold and bought ducks off Craigslist. The pet people are fine with $20ea, the butcher folks don't seem to respond unless it's under $15. I dropped off a duck once and saw her setup. Maybe ask for pictures of their new home or flockmates? I, personally, wouldn't have a problem with that.

Once they are gone their is really nothing you can do about it. Some religions only allow eating the males so if they are adamant its a male that could be a red flag.

Iv'e sold and bought ducks off Craigslist. The pet people are fine with $20ea, the butcher folks don't seem to respond unless it's under $15. I dropped off a duck once and saw her setup. Maybe ask for pictures of their new home or flockmates? I, personally, wouldn't have a problem with that.

Once they are gone their is really nothing you can do about it. Some religions only allow eating the males so if they are adamant its a male that could be a red flag.
This is good advice because those wanting to butcher aren't going to pay above certain price point.

If you end up posting to any FB groups click on profiles to see past posts/comments. It helped weed out people when I was rehoming some birds. One lady was on a rinse & repeat cycle with her entire flock getting eaten bc she kept them outside in dog cages, but she could give my drake a wonderful home 😑
This also makes sense. I watched one person constantly post on FB that she was interested in drake ducks. When I posted mine, she msg me that she wanted them but I was too far away. I know she wanted me to say we could meet or if I could bring them to her. I just responded, that's too bad. That was the end of that. She never asked what price I wanted.

So, definitely be aware of the responses.

I’ve decided that I’m gonna rehome most of my male ducks and this is one of the hardest decisions i’ve had to make bc I love them to death, but there’s too many of them. I’m keeping 3 boys with my 2 girls that are separated. My problem is that I don’t wanna just give them to someone who wants them. I want them to be able to have experience in taking care of ducks. I don’t want them to kill them or eat them. How do I go about finding someone who won’t kill or eat them?
I fear you will still have issues with your 3 boys if you keep 2 girls. It would be far easier to rehome your 2 girls and keep all 7 of your drakes.

Lots of advice above about selling them as pets only and how to weed out folks who would send yours to the freezer.

It will be sad for you whichever of your you rehome. I feel for you! I have only had to rehome one and that was to my son's home and so I see her every day!

If you end up posting to any FB groups click on profiles to see past posts/comments. It helped weed out people when I was rehoming some birds. One lady was on a rinse & repeat cycle with her entire flock getting eaten bc she kept them outside in dog cages, but she could give my drake a wonderful home 😑
What facebook groups do you recommend?

What facebook groups do you recommend?
Tha Critter Cottage, Newport Maine
Loud Dog Farm, Holden Maine

Both on Facebook

I'm from Central Maine

I'm an animal lover & I can tell you love your ducks. So glad your researching early.

Please don't use Maine Craigslist at all: there can be alot of shady people on there. I've heard horror stories. Just saying.

Back
Top Bottom