Advice on Relocating Chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Biddieacres, Dec 26, 2008.

1. Biddieacres

Biddieacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    We will be relocating ourselves and our chickens about 2 hours North of where we are now.

Should I purchase a poultry cage or will they be OK in a small dog kennel in my car for the ride? I notice the poultry cages are very shallow. Is this so they won't fly and get hurt on the ride????

Any advice on relocating these babies would be appreciated!
    Thanks!

2. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    We move them in a dog carrier with shavings and zip-tied water and feed cans. Drape a towel over it to make it less frightening. Mind you, after the move thye probably won't lay for a bit because they got scared.

3. 562Jen

562Jen Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2008
    Long Beach, CA
    My first chickens were 4 adopted full-grown hens. They traveled over an hour, 2 to a cardboard box, and were fine on arrival. They have also made short trips to the vet in a small animal carrier. I'm far from an expert, but my guess is that purchasing specialized equipment is not necessary for the move.

4. orcasislandchickens

orcasislandchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    I have carried mine for 1 day car trips a number of times and have used both a dog carrier and a cardboard box and they were fine. Put a layer of wood shavings down so they have a nice non-slip surface and the food and water cans is a good idea. You may not actually have to have the food and water in the crate for the ride, but if you have food and water readily available you can offer it to them if for some reason you cannot unpack them right away.

5. 2chickenrich

2chickenrich Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2008
    Perry, Georgia
    they will do fine in a dog crate i moved 10 in dog crates back 1st of december 34 deg. 2 hour ride they were in back of truck saw them on the 23rd they look good and are laying fine

6. Biddieacres

Biddieacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Oh that's good to hear because dog crates are much cheaper than the poultry cages online. I like the idea of the blanket over the top so they won't get scared.

Since I won't have a run built when we get there or fencing up yet...are there any good ideas for temporary cheap runs until the ground thaws and I can build one?

Thanks for the advice!

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree a dog crate or a box will be fine. I built a run out of 2x4's and chicken wire. It is not attached to the coop and is moveable. It's 8 ft wide x 16 feet long and 4 ft high. Now I wish I had made it a little taller but it works ok. Also I made a chicken ladder in it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 27, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by