Advice on removing hatched chicks...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by misskeeter, Feb 19, 2013.

1. misskeeter

misskeeter Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2012
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Okay... So I know you aren't supposed to turn eggs during the last three days. I did that with my first hatch ever last year. I also followed the advice of leaving the hatched chicks in until they were all dry. I ended up with several eggs that never hatched, and I assumed it was because they got knocked around so much after the first babies hatched. This year I decided I was going to set up a second incubator and transfer chicks the minute they hatched to keep them from knocking around the others, but I read last night to keep them in...

SO...

Advice: Do I remove them to a second bator set up with the same temp and humidity to keep them from knocking the others around , or do I leave them in and let them just knock away.

I am worried about disturbing and drowning/suffocating chicks who were in the right position then knocked into a bad position. Is this crazy?

2. thasista

thasista Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    KY
    My Coop
    This is exactly the setup I have. As soon as I see a chick hatched and completely out of the shell, they get moved into a "transitional" incubator. I don't put any humidity in it, but you could I guess just not too high. I let them stay there for about 24 hours, then they get moved to the brooder. This method has worked well for me and I have had less losses of other eggs...

3. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    I think you should just leave them in. You don't want to let out needed humidity for unhatched eggs. Here is hatching instructions from a wonderful member that shares her wealth of knowledge https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101. Good Luck on your hatch.

4. misskeeter

May 15, 2012
    Wichita Falls, TX
    See.. that's what I was hoping to avoid, the losses of other eggs due to knocking them around. I know we aren't supposed to turn them during lockdown for a reason, because they can drown or have trouble pipping etc...

5. misskeeter

May 15, 2012
    Wichita Falls, TX
    I'll go check that link now.

6. ChckenBoy13

ChckenBoy13 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2013
    Claremont, NC
    Eggs getting knocked around happens a little bit when a hen hatches her eggs naturally so I see no need to worry. I would leave the chicks in there to keep from losing necessary humidity. I usually just leave my chicks in there because, for the first 8 or so hours, the chicks barely move around since they don't have the energy to move around. My hatches have been very successful and I usually don't have a problem with hatches being interrupted by other chicks. In all honesty, though, I prefer letting the hens hatch the eggs the natural way [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2013
  7. misskeeter

May 15, 2012
    Wichita Falls, TX
    :) I'd love for a hen to hatch eggs naturally, but I don't see me getting permission to bring a fully grown hen in to my classroom. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2013
  8. ChckenBoy13

ChckenBoy13 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2013
    Claremont, NC
    That would be interesting [​IMG]

9. misskeeter

May 15, 2012
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Oh quite interesting I'm sure... and if I could figure out a way to work it, I totally would. LOL

You don't know how much I mean it... I have snakes in the classroom, and I do all sorts of stuff with my students. LOL

10. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    Very interesting.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by