Advice on Roos- Yea or Nay?

catdaddy66

Songster
10 Years
Nov 18, 2009
Lugoff, SC
I know that roosters are more of a choice than a necessity but as I am getting ready to expand my flock by 20-25 birds I wonder if a roo or two would be beneficial. My flocks are for egg production (mostly brown and green egg layers) and have limited space to operate in (coop and run only). They will not be free ranged per say, but I did not know if a rooster or maybe two would be of any positive value for those purposes. I know if I get them and they do not work out they can go to freezer camp. I also am not yet trying to make baby chicks so I don't want fertilized eggs. What do you guys think?

I also have about 8 acres so the closest neighbor is about 1/4 mile away from the coops.

When I was a kid, in the 1960's My dad had a layer house of about 1000 chickens. He swore on having a couple of roosters. He said the sound of the crow would boost egg production.
idunno.gif

I had this same dilemma when I decided 3 years ago. What I was told was that sometimes the hens get lazy with their laying, and a roo "prompt" them to keep up production. He also is very protective of the hens and keeps them in line. If a hawk flies overhead, he calls them all into safety and they all come running. It really is quite fun to watch a roo at work. I am so glad I decided to get roos. As long as it's a nice one, they are great to have around. Get rid of the mean ones...

Bittersweet story, I had a raccoon attack last spring and lost 19 birds. You could tell from what was left behind that my 3 roos were trying to protect the girls. Unfortunately, I lost all 3 boys, but they died heroically!

mr. birdaholic :

When I was a kid, in the 1960's My dad had a layer house of about 1000 chickens. He swore on having a couple of roosters. He said the sound of the crow would boost egg production.
idunno.gif

That makes sense from a biological-need-to-procreate standpoint!​

I'm under the impression or hunch that my 2 little silkies that sleep/reside with my bantam cochin roo lay more eggs than my other 6 chickens because of his constant "attention". After the 3 spent quarantine together , I then put them in my old woodbox converted to coop so they are more exposed to his "attention"....didn't know when I got them that silkies can't really navigate ramps very well so they can't get up into the coop at night. Once again I ramble.....my whole point being my 2 silkies in with the rooster lay more eggs than my other 4 standard hens.

edit: noticed I say 6 chickens once and 4 another time...mentioned the 2 who aren't laying yet for some reason.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom