Advice on Roosters

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Chicken gurl, May 27, 2016.

1. Chicken gurl

Chicken gurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2016
    Arizona
    So I'm new to the whole rooster thing... I got a Black Copper Maran (very hard to find where I live) and raised it. My friend had its brother and sister form the same batch, she had to get ride of mine, which I named Falcon, because the other two chicks were picking on it because it was smaller. I took it under my care and he grew up big and strong. I have never had any roosters before, I get lucky with the feed store mash-up. The older he got the more I got the feeling that he wasn't a hen. At a fair I saw my friend showing her 2 Marans, and her rooster was crowing every second he got, but mine had never uttered a peep at home! I also noticed how much smaller her roo was compared to mine. Weeks went by and no crowing, roosters that were younger were crowing already! One day he finally attempted a crow and the rest of the week he practiced all... night... long... He is very beautiful and has never shown ANY aggression to anyone ( my oldest hen is top dog and "reminds" him when he forgets). The problem is I can't have roosters where I live, so we had to give him to my aunt. He loved to be held and would fall asleep in my lap most of the time.

Here is a picture of him:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is my questions:

Can a rooster be a late bloomer when it comes to crowing?

Smaller size when chicks = bigger adult size?????

Do no-crow collars work?

Are all roosters aggressive?

Thanks for listening to my rambling!!!![​IMG]

2. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Cockrels start to crow when they are ready, and with no other cock birds or cockrels , he may just have taken longer to figure it out. Many roosters are NOT human aggressive, and they are the ones worth having. He will be better off in a flock where he can be a rooster, rather than confined with a 'no crow collar' and all that involves. BC Marans are uncommon, so finding him another home may not be that difficult. Put up signs at the feed stores, and talk about him here on the AZ site, and the BC Marans site. Good luck! Mary

2 people like this.
  3. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Yep - what Mary said.

4. Chicken gurl

Mar 22, 2016
    Arizona
    Finding him a new home was actually harder than I had thought!! Not many people can have roosters or have had a bad experience in the past. I ended up giving him to my aunt who had to get rid of her rooster because he was attacking people and hens ( he would come at the hens like he was trying to fight and ended up making one of the hens bleed pretty bad). The new girls are a bit cautious of him because he behaved weird. He was such a baby, kept running and hiding behind me and clucking at me to pick him up. TERRIFIED of the hens. My girls missed him for a while, but all is well again.[​IMG]

5. Chicken gurl

Mar 22, 2016
    Arizona
    So apparently he isn't doing well at his new home... My aunt had a bad rooster, so she assumed all roosters are bad; negative energy must be effecting him. He suddenly turned "mean" and my aunt wants to get rid of him..... Anyone want a Black Copper Marans rooster???[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by