Advice on Salmon Fav gender.

The Sheriff

Crowing
10 Years
Jun 17, 2009
Northern CA
I posted this on the gender links but wondered if anyone could give me an opinion about these two week old salmon favs. I am so afraid they are both roos!

Here is the first one:
34566_sex-3.jpg

Here is number 2:
34566_sex-4.jpg

Thanks

Mary

Quote:
Hi Mary,
#1 is defently a little boy
#2 could be either is its entire wing black like #1's or are there cream colored feathers further up on the wing. When my Favs were little I really throught I had gotten two roosters because they had dark wing feathers but lo and behold as adults both were beautiful productive hens. Now I have a whole breeding flock of Bantam Faverolles. I really love them so much faverolles are the best check out my fav thread if I didn't answer your question these people will be able to https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=268082

good
luck cute chicks!
Henry

1 is a roo.

2 could be a roo... my Salmon Fav pullet has black on her wing tips. Give it two weeks and you'll know.

On my bantam Faverolles, the girls always had black on the wings but it seemed lighter. I found the best way to tell was wait a few more weeks and when the shoulder feathers start to sprout you will see the little black prickles on the roo and the gals will have rust colored feathers popping up.

I agree that #1 appears to be pretty dark to have any chance of being a pullet but the second on may be. There are often dark feathers on the female Fav wings but as time goes on the are more grey than black.

I 'd give it a couple more weeks and you should really be able to tell the difference. Here a couple of photos of mine. I believe if memory serves me correctly that the first photos of me holding them was about 1.5 weeks. The other photo of them side by side is about 3.5 weeks.
Boy
11170_imgp4007.jpg

Girl
11170_imgp4010.jpg

Side by Side
11170_imgp4035.jpg

Hope this helps.

It is not all that usual for Fav chicks to get some kind of "smuttiness" in the primary wing feathers. Some would be darker and other would be lighter. The regular Salmon girls do get a little darker smuttiness than the Blue Salmon girls which they would be a lighter grey in color. I agree with the others, wait a couple of weeks to get the upper part of the wing colors to come in and then you would be determined which sex it would be.

If they are hatchery bred birds, they can go either way but the sticking point would be are the chest feathers and leg feathers. If Black or blue, its a roo. If pale salmon creme color, its a girl. If it is brown, then it MAY be girls. Hatchery Favs are the worst kind of example of the world of Faverolles. If you want the "real" thing, go to a breeder!

Back
Top Bottom