1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Advice on shipped egg disaster

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by JosieChick, Nov 16, 2010.

1. JosieChick

JosieChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Lyman, ME
    Hi hatching experts!
    I received a box of shipped serama eggs today the the postal service did a number on. The box was all banged up and two eggs were broken. One of the eggs broke and flew all over the box and there are dried egg guts all over the other eggs. [​IMG] I was really excited about these eggs but they are filthy with egg goo. I have eggs in the bator right now that they would be going in with and I am hatching in a separate bator. I don't want to set them if they are going to compromise my other eggs. Last time I set eggs that had a rough trip one had a hairline crack that I didn't see and exploded in the bator a few days in. [​IMG] Can I salvage these eggs or should I not set them?

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I would wash the eggs off. Use HOT water and some dawn dishwashing liquid. I always wash off any dirty duck eggs or chicken eggs this way and never have hatching problems. Just make sure to use hot water, never cold.

Good Luck.

3. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

I would wash them an candle them. Wax any cracks an set them.

4. JosieChick

JosieChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Lyman, ME
    Thanks! I will try that and cross my fingers.

5. sloallie10

sloallie10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    CA
    Quote:WAIT! you are not suppose to use water! stop! It takes a protective coat on the egg that protects from bacteria from getting in!

6. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

I do all the time. Hot water.

7. iluvsedward

iluvsedward Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2010
    Calvert county MD
    I just rinse mine, NO SOAP I just rub gently with my fingers, and btw, I had a 100% hatch!!!

8. luvanimals2

luvanimals2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    Some of the eggs I got were a little soiled and I did not want them to go into the incubator that way. I took a cloth and dunked it into hot water and wiped them. No harm done, they are hatching as I type.

Nancy

9. iluvsedward

iluvsedward Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2010
    Calvert county MD
    Quote:ooooo fun! good luck!!!

10. luvanimals2

luvanimals2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    Quote:ooooo fun! good luck!!!

Thank You! I took a long break from hatching eggs. So far, everything is going GREAT. I just need to handcuff my hands because I want so badly to help them. [​IMG]

Nancy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by