Advice on size of current brooder(s) and transitioning

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kmac720, Mar 3, 2012.

1. kmac720

kmac720 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2012
    I took the plunge a few weeks ago and got 10 chicks, 8 RIR, 2 Barred Rocks, one RIR has passed. The others are getting big, FAST! I started them all in a 50 gallon tub and then split them into two tubs at almost two weeks old. They are almost three weeks old and I'm unsure about if the space is big enough. I've got an eight by four coop being built but the weekend rain is putting us behind on getting ready. So my questions are, (1) how long can they last, happily, in their brooders, (2) Do they need to be together to interact better in the future. (3) When I can they go outside to the big coop when out weather is getting up to mid 60's-70 each day, but still in the 40's at night. Our coop will have wheels so I can pack them up into it and roll it in for weather protection Anything you can offer is greatly appreciated!

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    At 4 weeks they should really have 1 sq ft apiece, IMO. Many people here move chicks in the coop at 3 or 4 weeks -- and consider them fully feathered at 4 weeks. It would help to give them short outdoor outings in the meantime.

3. kmac720

kmac720 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2012
    We did make some progress on the coop today so it should be done by the time week 5 rolls around.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by