1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Advice on Sour crop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bygalos, Mar 10, 2015.

1. bygalos

bygalos In the Brooder

Dec 22, 2014
    Two days ago I noticed my favorite OE had a large crop and was very lethargic. I did some internet research and found that she may have sour crop so I massaged her crop upward towards her head and she vomited a very smelly discharge with a little grass. This morning she seemed better, but when I touched her crop this time it felt like it was full of food, but still very large. I confined her to a private space and left her there for the day. Can anyone tell me if I am handling this properly? Tomorrow morning I will check on her again and give her some yogurt and fresh water. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2. N F C

N F C you heard the cat, smile! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    1 person likes this.
  3. bygalos

bygalos In the Brooder

Dec 22, 2014
    Thank you NorthFLChick.

4. N F C

N F C you heard the cat, smile! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    I hope it helps. We recently lost one of our Black Australorps to what I believe was a crop issue, wish I would have seen the article earlier. Please keep me posted on how your girl does.

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Bird is the Word Staff Member Premium Member 7 Years

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    If I can be of any help, feel free to ask me here or pm me as well. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: