Advice on Splayed Leg in two of light sussex - (they are 18 weeks old)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Stevey48, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Stevey48

Stevey48 New Egg

Feb 1, 2012
    hi there. I've inherited a small flock of light sussex ( 8 hens and 1 rooster). Two have splayed legs and i need advice. these birds are 18 weeks old, and all of them are already larger than my 8 existing brown lohman lites, which are 2 years old +.
    One is just like the runt of the litter and is considerably smaller than all the others as it has a splayed leg at exactly 180 degrees to its other (one forward and one back). Its a hen and still gets around by hopping and flying. Apparently this bird always had a 'dodgy' leg, but it was kept anyway.
    The second is a Rooster and its a huge bird. This one didn't start out with what certainly appears to be splayed leg, but its certainly got one now. I've picked the rooster up and followed the leg up the underside and one whole leg, while at rest is simply pointing not quite at 180 degrees, but well on its way. The rooster struggles to get around, but he does.
    All the hens and rooster have a reasonable sized run, on mud and grass. The rest of the Light sussex all seem perfect.
    From what i've seen, I dont suppose I can cure either bird now as it would mean wrenching already grown muscles and tendons?? Both birds appear happy, and the rooster still keeps all the other hens in check.
    The rooster hasnt started crowing yet - perhaps thats because he cant stand up, dont know??
    Is it cruel to keep these birds?? The rooster seems like he will get worse especially if he gets any bigger. theres lots of info on splayed legs in chicks but very little advice on adults. Would appreciate any advice.

2. Stevey48

Stevey48 New Egg

Feb 1, 2012
    By the way - the Lohmans and Light sussex are in seperate areas so there is no chance of one species bullying another. Plus, all the light sussex get on well, there is no bullying towards the smaller splayed leg hen by the other sussex - although I have observed the splayed leg hen, on many occasions being trampled by the others when there is food in the offing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by