Advice on swapping eggs out for live chicks under broody.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by brahmamamamak, Jun 18, 2011.

1. brahmamamamak

brahmamamamak Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2010
    Violet ,my Blue Cochin, has been setting on shipped eggs for 24 days now and it is becoming pretty clear that they are not going to hatch. Believe me not through any neglect on her part. I plan to remove the eggs tonight and replace with ceramic eggs. I have ordered the first available cochin chicks I was able to get from My Pet Chicken which should arrive on July 7th. Violet is isolated in a front space (6 x 12) in the coop so if need be in the event she doesn't accept them, that can quickly become my brooding area.

Should I feed and water the chicks before placing them under her. I know I have read this should be done in the dark.

Please any and all advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    What I generally do is feed and water the chicks first. I go down to the hen when it is as dark as possible and , using just a torch, place the chicks under the hen's wings. Simple as that, and it has never failed for me (Have only done this with patient and tame Brahma hens, though, so cannot comment on feisty breeds like Game Fowl or Leghorns). Hang around for a while to ensure all is well.
    My last 'adoption' involved a trusty and regularly broody Dark Brahma hen. I just placed 5 chicks in front of her and she immediately spread her wings to accommodate them beside the four she had already hatched. I would only recommend this if you know the hen well and are prepared to snatch the chicks back quickly if the worst happens.

It is a bit of a wait until 7th July and your hen may be getting very thin and weak. I hope that she is a 'sensible' broody who comes out once or twice a day to feed, water, excrete and preen, otherwise it may prove too much for her.

Good Luck.

3. brahmamamamak

Apr 30, 2010
    Quote:She is very good. She comes off twice a day, eats the scratch n mealy worms I set out, has a good drink of water, a very good poop then goes back to nest. She is very dedicated, sweet and docile girl. I have had all my girls since they were day old chicks and have been very fortunate as to have never lost any.

4. GardeNerd

GardeNerd Chillin' With My Peeps

I have had good luck with introducing foster chicks to my broody cochins. I had one hen that sat for 7 weeks before I got her foster chicks and she was fine. The day the chicks arrive, I keep them in a brooder and make sure they all get plenty of water and food, and then slip the chicks under the broody later at night, one at a time over an half hour or so. Cochins are usually great moms. My blog has pictures of a few of my broodies with their foster babies.

When I had a broody barred rock a few years back, I ordered chicks for her, and would you know it, 23 days after starting to brood (2 days before the chicks arrived) she gave up and rejoined her flock. I was stuck raising the chicks myself in a brooder in the house, but they also ended up being really sweet chickens as a result, so it was all good.

5. brahmamamamak

Apr 30, 2010
    Received my 5 Partridge Cochin chicks today and did get them in a brooder with food and water.
    So stinking cute I can't stand it!
    [​IMG]
    I placed them under Violets wings and she does seem very gentle about how she is moving in the nest.
    I have to trust that a hen knows how to keep the chicks warm without squishing them... Let's face it
    Cochins aren't exactly feather weights. How the heck am I going to sleep tonight.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by