Advice on the cause behind this chicken poop?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by layalot, Oct 25, 2013.

1. layalot

layalot New Egg

Oct 25, 2013
    I'm new to backyard chicken farming. I have 6 chickens, all have done great over the past 6 months until the two oldest ones started molting. One of them appears unwell (aside from the normal molting appearance) with a much paler comb that is drooped over to one side. I recently de-wormed them with Wazine after noting some evidence of worms in the poop of most of the flock, and they have all improved since, with no further abnormal poops....except this one chicken. She sits in the same spot on the roost each night, so I can tell it is her, and only her who leaves these poops. It has gone on for 2 weeks. Activity wise, she is active and eating and drinking well. The poop is always surrounded by a lot of wet shavings, and has small almost tubular casings in it. Is this another type of worm? I'm planning on deworming with Valbazan next, any other thoughts?

[​IMG]

Thanks for any and all advice. I have read a zillion posts on worms/deworming/abnormal poops and am no further along to finding out the issue :)

2. Chicks and Hens

Chicks and Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2013
    With my chickens
    Protein!!!! They need MORE!! especially through molting!!!!!!!!

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The tubular casings are probably feather shafts coming off their skin. This particular chicken may be drinking a lot of extra water which makes more liquid in the dropping. Wazine only gets the round worms as you may know, but Valbazen gets all chicken worms, and chickens usually get several types.

4. Chicks and Hens

Chicks and Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2013
    With my chickens
    [​IMG]

5. Triple Willow

Triple Willow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2013
    I recommend you take a look at the "natural" chicken keeping threads.

6. layalot

layalot New Egg

Oct 25, 2013
    Thank you so much to those who responded. My plan is to up the protein with a few extra snacks as well as give the Valbazen. Will see how we do from there :) This forum has been great at teaching me all the basics, it's when something goes awry that I am a little clueless!!

7. Triple Willow

Triple Willow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2013
    I HIGHLY recommend you check out FERMENTED FEED. It will make all of your chickens healthier and give them a much better immune system. Also you can deworm with natural things like codliver oil and pumpkin seeds. Too much protein will also cause a very loose stool and other serious problems.

You can learn about fermented feed at the "Fermented Feed For Meat Birds" thread.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by